You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-03 22:21:16

sparrow

Local Repository Question...

First - I really appreciate all the work that everyone has put into this, I'm really starting to like this distro a lot...

Second...
Still pretty new to the linux world. Messed with Xubuntu for the last few months, but I wanted to learn more... So I've ended up with Arch...
I've done a couple of installs to a GUI with some success, but still have a few things to get figured out...

Third - My question...
I spend a lot of time in places where I do not have internet access and I really like to mess, so I've download all of the files from an extra repository to set up a local repo on my hd.

I ran the perl script quickhack from the wiki against the directory, copied the file the script created to the directory with all of the other files and renamed it to "current.db.tar.gz"
From there I set my pacman.conf to point to the directory and done a sync/refresh and everything works fine...

I can search/install any of the files that are listed, but when I try to do "pacman -S xfce4" or "pacman -S gnome" I get the "not found in sync db"... I can install any of the separate files but not an entire group...

What is it that I'm overlooking ?

Thanks...

#2 2006-11-03 22:51:13

yankees26

Re: Local Repository Question...

Since you downloaded the extra repository the file should be named "extra.db.tar.gz" not "current.db.tar.gz"

#3 2006-11-03 23:10:45

Romashka
Forum Fellow

sparrow wrote:

I spend a lot of time in places where I do not have internet access and I really like to mess, so I've download all of the files from an extra repository to set up a local repo on my hd.

I ran the perl script quickhack from the wiki against the directory, copied the file the script created to the directory with all of the other files and renamed it to "current.db.tar.gz"
From there I set my pacman.conf to point to the directory and done a sync/refresh and everything works fine...

Why did you do that? There are few ways to create local mirror (full or only installed packages) of Arch repos, all described on Wiki.
You don't need to merge Arch repos into one local repository.

sparrow wrote:

I can search/install any of the files that are listed, but when I try to do "pacman -S xfce4" or "pacman -S gnome" I get the "not found in sync db"... I can install any of the separate files but not an entire group...

What is it that I'm overlooking ?

That's because you regenerated repo db with this script, so you lost your groups.

If I understand you correctly, you need to look at these articles:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Local_Mirror
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/How … me_Network

to live is to die

#4 2006-11-04 02:19:19

sparrow

thanks to both of you - both answers were helpful...

Board footer