You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-19 11:49:54

nfortier

Can Kate be used without KDE?

I've been using the jEdit text editor for years, I like it but recently a gtk "upgrade" has made the display rather unpleasant.

So I'm trying to find an alternative that does not use gtk. I tried Kate (installed it the normal way with pacman), it seems promising but is not really usable. For instance it does not offer a functional search, since buttons are invisible for the lack of icons. Screenshots elsewhere seem to indicate that Kate does normally use icons.

I use OpenBox and have no intention of installing a desktop environment such as KDE. Without installing KDE, am I wasting my time with Kate?

Why is Kate packaged for Arch in a way that makes it unusable?

#2 2021-05-19 11:53:42

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Can Kate be used without KDE?

This has nothing to do with Arch packaging, you just need to configure QT correctly...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Qt#Con … KDE_Plasma

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-05-19 12:53:57

nfortier

Thank you. With all due respect, this is the first time I've come across an archlinux package that, once installed, is unusable because essential dependencies are not managed.

- Kate is not usable without icons (try it!)
- It actually requires either KDE or qt5ct plus an icon package (the wiki says Oxygen, Kate at startup looks for Breeze).

It seems you cannot state conditional dependencies in pkgbuild but then, at the very least, a warning should be issued during install.

#4 2021-05-19 14:42:22

V1del
Forum Moderator

this is just standard Qt theme configuration, do you want to do that for every qt package and the other way around for every GTK package? You just need to configure the respective themes as you like them once.

Board footer