You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-05 10:35:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Deleting/Moving Wiki Pages

When deleting a page, if there's a replacement, put a redirect in to the replacement, not "(candidate for deletion)".

To put in a redirect, replace the contents of the page with:

#REDIRECT [[page linking to]]

This helps stop broken links, and will make sure people find what they are looking for.

If you are moving a page, dont make a new page and copy paste, use the 'move this page' link at the bottom, as it automatically creates a redirect.

Just noticed this now, as someone had busted up the link on http://aur.archlinux.org/index.php to the TU guidelines. I've fixed it with a redirect now. I know you might think fixing the aur is the solution, but we cant fix every link out there, so redirects are preferable over deletion.

James

#2 2006-11-05 10:51:12

cheer

Re: Deleting/Moving Wiki Pages

As I can understand, only wiki Administrators can delete pages, yes?
And about renaming categories. How to do it?

#3 2006-11-05 12:18:41

byte

That was me, my apologies. I'm getting rid of a lot of redirects lately and just forgot about the AUR links. Fixed for now and opened a AUR bugreport to link to the original articles.

#4 2006-11-05 12:20:17

iphitus
Forum Fellow

byte wrote:

That was me, my apologies. I'm getting rid of a lot of redirects lately and just forget about the AUR links. Fixed for now and opened a AUR bugreport to link to the original articles.

Dont remove the redirects. We cant control every weblink on the internet, so by removing redirects, you're most likely breaking a lot of links. Redirects are harmless and safe to leave,

James

#5 2006-11-05 15:09:02

jakob

It should not be a too big problem to fix the links when we are working on the wiki a lot anyway, since there is a special page on every wiki page called "what links here?" to be able to see where wrong links are. This applies to wiki only, of course

@cheer: To rename a category: Change all Category-tags in the articles which belong to the category and you have the new one..

#6 2006-11-05 15:32:16

cheer

@jakob:
But these categories are now in unused categories. I want to remove them completely.

#7 2006-11-05 15:41:54

cheer

May be you can give me administrator privileges on Russian section of Wiki as I am maintaining it now? Sorry if it is insolent request.

#8 2006-11-05 16:17:30

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Its not an insolent request.

AFAIK, I can't give admin privileges to just one section of the wiki. I can give them to you for the whole wiki though, if you want; it would be good if you could do 'simple' maintenance on other sections too.

For now, I've deleted all the unused category pages. I can keep up with the workload for the moment, so I don't really need another admin to handle the requests coming in. However, with all the current activity, I'm predicting there will be a lot of admin requests coming in; having someone else to handle these might be helpful.

Dusty

#9 2006-11-05 16:27:39

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

jakob wrote:

since there is a special page on every wiki page called "what links here?" to be able to see where wrong links are. This applies to wiki only, of course

Its also possible to get a general idea of what links there are to a page across the web using the google link operator (search for "link:http://path.to/some/page.ext"). I doubt there are a lot of links into the Arch Wiki outside the wiki and these forums; I think its ok to remove obscure redirects, such as misspellings. It would only be when moving popular or important pages that you really have to worry, including pages that are deliberately designed to be linked from outside the wiki.

Dusty

#10 2006-11-05 17:09:14

byte

Since most of my last wiki edits were of a more, ahem... 'destructive' nature -> Byte
Just in case you miss something else or disagree... better now than having hassles later.

#11 2006-11-05 17:31:11

cheer

What's the difference between [DocumentRequests] and [WantedPages]? In FAQ there are links to [DocumentRequests] and it is candidate for deletion... May be change all links from one page to another?
@Dusty:
OK, when there will be a need in me, just contact smile
As I could understand, if I want to do something that requires administartive privileges, I am to contact you?

#12 2006-11-05 18:52:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

cheer wrote:

As I could understand, if I want to do something that
requires administartive privileges, I am to contact you?

Yes, for now.

Dusty

#13 2006-11-06 07:43:10

byte

cheer wrote:

What's the difference between [DocumentRequests] and [WantedPages]? In FAQ there are links to [DocumentRequests] and it is candidate for deletion... May be change all links from one page to another?

DocumentRequests was originally an article solely used for spamming, but if you actually want to use it, feel free.

Board footer