You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-12 23:22:18

hutiwephy

snd_hda_intel Problem - audio playback stops with high pitch noise

After installing, I ran into issues with the sound card and after searching, through multiple forums, I finally found part of the answer to the snd_hda_intel issue:

The initial issue:

while playing audio, after a while it would stop any playback and play an high pitched noise that only stopped after opening "pavucontrol"

apparently the sound card was constantly entering power save mode, as a fix i modified the
"/etc/modprobe.d/snd_hda_intel.conf"

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0
options snd_hda_intel power_save_controller=N
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

and ran "sudo mkinitcpio -p linux" according to the instructions still the initial issue persisted, but some other forum suggested to modify "/etc/tlp.conf" since it would override the modprobe:

TLP_DEFAULT_MODE=AC
TLP_PERSISTENT_DEFAULT=1

SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_AC=0
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_BAT=0
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_CONTROLLER=N

which fixed only part of the issue, even though the settings persisted after rebooting

sudo cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

sudo cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
N
The current issue:

while playing audio, after a while it stops any playback and plays an high pitched noise, but now if I pause the playback and wait a short while the noise goes away and allows me to resume any playback

can some one please help me?

NOTE: I've a chromebook CELES, and tested multiple linux distros, of which ubuntu, stock arch linux and endeavourOS (which I'm currently using) and on both endeavourOS and Arch Linux I've come across this issue

I know this post is probably going to get closed, but I've only got good answers for my issue from this forums since this issue is related to the either the kernel or the way Intel audio cards behave on arch Linux

Last edited by hutiwephy (2021-06-16 20:09:41)

#2 2021-08-30 12:17:48

smygfjord

Re: snd_hda_intel Problem - audio playback stops with high pitch noise

I have a baytrail hp chromebook 14 endeavouros and have the exact same problem. I haven't had this issue before. I tried your solutions and others I found online but the issue remains. I can play youtube for example for some minutes but after a while the audio stops and plays a high pitched sound until I disable and renable the soundcard.

fully updated  5.13.13-arch1-1

#3 2021-08-30 13:12:24

SimonJ

Maybe try this

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1988478

It worked for me on an Asus C300

Last edited by SimonJ (2021-08-30 13:13:19)

#4 2021-11-20 23:16:42

hutiwephy

the latest update fixed the issue somehow

Board footer