You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-16 09:43:40

bulta

possible to install wayland in one account and xorg in another

Hi,

but of the different advantages and rather disadvantages of xorg and wayland, I can't make a decicion which way to go.

So I want to ask if it's possible to install in one user-account wayland and in another xorg (X11)?

Or do I have to install to archlinux(es) as dualboot?

Thanks

best wishes

#2 2021-06-16 09:58:00

Wild Penguin

Re: possible to install wayland in one account and xorg in another

The answer is no, you do not need separate accounts (or installations). X.org and wayland can be installed at the same time, there is no problem in that. Actually, I believe Arch already installs Wayland stuff per default.

You just decide which session (Xorg or Wayland) you start. How this happens, depends on if you use a display manager (and which one). Have I understood correctly, you have not yet installed Arch Linux (and do not know how you are going to start the GUI)?

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Waylan … y_managers .

Last edited by Wild Penguin (2021-06-16 09:58:22)

#3 2021-06-17 08:48:21

bulta

... first is brilliant that you answer so quick, but I had yesterday (and still ) headache (not of the installation (-: ))

And second, it is brillant that it works like this. I had already installed Arch, tryed between Manjaro and come now back to Arch.
Last time I followed just Youtube-Tutorials, this time I want to leaf me time to understand–so good a possible–what I am installing.
The basic-sys I have already installed. But also 2 further machines waiting  to be installed.

Thanks so far

best wishes

bulta

#4 2021-06-17 11:55:46

Wild Penguin

No problem.

Actually, I noticed an error in my reply:

Wild Penguin wrote:

Actually, I believe Arch already installs Wayland stuff per default.

This is not entirely true. It may be possible to install X.org without Wayland somehow, but packages - such as mesa - will pull it in as a dependency.

However, depending on which desktop environment you intend to use, this may not be enough to run it in Wayland. You may need to install additional packages to be able to run said desktop environment in Wayland. For example, see the Arch Wiki for KDE Plasma (you need to install plasma-wayland-session in the case of Plasma).

Board footer