You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-16 20:49:42

kfsorh

[Pipewire] Simultaneous line out and headphones - doesn't work anymore

Hi all,

I have been using Arch for a long time, and I've been able to play audio from speakers (connected to line out in back panel) and headphones (connected to front panel) simultaneously. At first I just used Alsa, then I installed Pulseaudio when I needed more advanced capture options.

A few months ago, I switched to Pipewire. Everything was still working like before.

Now, out of sudden, I can only use either headphones or line out but not both at the same time. Audio control utilities like pavucontrol or plasma-pa allow me to select headphones OR line out. Not both.

If I boot to Windows, I can play from both outputs simultaneously.

I'm using the onboard audio controller on my Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP motherboard, lspci shows:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

Does anyone know a solution? Please let me know if I should provide any additional information.

Additional notes:
Some time ago, there were intermittent problems with speaker (line out) playback after booting, but those could be resolved by detaching the headphones and plugging them back in.
On the other hand, audio playback still works as I want in Windows, so the hardware is working.
If I select the device profile in pavucontrol as "Analog stereo, input", I get a degraded sound from the speakers. Like something from a low quality phone speaker.

Last edited by kfsorh (2021-06-17 17:02:51)

#2 2021-06-17 18:27:12

kfsorh

Re: [Pipewire] Simultaneous line out and headphones - doesn't work anymore

Found a partial solution - if I use alsamixer, I can unmute the "Front" channel when the headphones are plugged in, and sound comes from both headphones and speakers.

But if I unplug the headphones and plug them back, the "Front" channel is instantly muted again. The "Auto mute" option is Disabled in alsamixer.

So somehow my audio settings have been messed up by an update or something.

None of the Pulseaudio configuration utilities that I have tried (pavucontrol, plasma-pa, pasystray, KMix, pulsemixer) has any option to enable both outputs.

edit: If I mute the headphones in alsamixer, the speakers (line out) are also muted even though alsamixer shows the "Front" channel as not muted.

edit: More trial and error. I changed the "On/off play" option in the BIOS settings to "Enabled" (I had changed it to disabled before). Now the speakers are muted when the headphones are plugged in, even if I choose the line out option in pavucontrol.
In alsamixer, "Auto mute" was enabled this time. If I disable it, I can unmute the "Front" channel and get sound from headphones and speakers. But if I mute headphones in alsamixer, the speakers are also muted.

Looks like this might be a driver/hardware issue?

Last edited by kfsorh (2021-06-17 19:16:37)

#3 2021-06-24 11:30:33

sxe

Hey there,
did you find any solution so far?
I have exactly the same problem. It worked for a while with pipewire until an update changed it like you described. Now I have to unmute the front speaker after each reboot if I want to use them at the same time with my headphones which is super annoying.
Since there is no soution mention for this problem yet I hope it's ok I add my comment in this post.

Cheers

#4 2021-06-25 15:16:03

kfsorh

sxe wrote:

Hey there,
did you find any solution so far?
I have exactly the same problem. It worked for a while with pipewire until an update changed it like you described. Now I have to unmute the front speaker after each reboot if I want to use them at the same time with my headphones which is super annoying.
Since there is no soution mention for this problem yet I hope it's ok I add my comment in this post.

Cheers

Thanks for confirmation. Looks like it may not be a hardware problem after all. I haven't found a solution yet.

Last edited by kfsorh (2021-06-25 15:16:51)

Board footer