You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-23 23:42:33

TheFurryWeeb

Converting EndeavourOS into vanilla Arch Linux

Hi there! I came back to Arch Linux after a few months of trying out Ubuntu Rolling Rhino. I still do not know how to make Arch Linux read NTFS and UDF file systems in R/W mode, so to mitigate that issue, I chose to install Arch through EndeavourOS because that distro promised a close to vanilla experience (which means pacman still uses packages from the Arch repositories).

I only needed EndeavourOS to install vanilla Arch the easy, lazy way with NTFS R/W support, and thus, I removed all of the EndeavourOS packages and disabled the [endeavouros] repository. Now my system behaves just like vanilla Arch, but I have no idea how to replace the EndeavourOS branding that shows up in the DEs, in neofetch and in Steam system reports with Arch Linux branding.

So yeah, how can I actually do that? Does it even worth it? If not, should I go back to vanilla Arch? If I should, how can I enable read-write support for NTFS and UDF file systems?

A computer and Linux nerd, an avid 2D platformer and RPG gamer and a furry combined into one person.

I hope I can help you out with your Arch issues and get myself helped out, as well.

#2 2021-06-23 23:50:45

twelveeighty

Re: Converting EndeavourOS into vanilla Arch Linux

The only supported way is to install Arch from scratch using the Installation Guide linked from the main Wiki page.

The best way to combat "not knowing" something is to educate yourself, not installing other distros; unless you want to reverse engineer something undocumented. That's not needed for NTFS and UDF, just read the Arch Wiki on how to handle NTFS and UDF, it's not that hard to set up.

#3 2021-06-24 10:42:38

d_fajardo

I only needed EndeavourOS to install vanilla Arch the easy, lazy way with NTFS R/W support, and thus, I removed all of the EndeavourOS packages and disabled the [endeavouros] repository.

I don't think you'll get any help from this forum. The only supported installation for Arch is via the official Installation Guide.
Arch keeps things simple. Install Arch the right way then learn how to use NTFS and UDF afterwards. It really is that simple.

#4 2021-06-24 10:58:46

TheFurryWeeb

d_fajardo wrote:

I only needed EndeavourOS to install vanilla Arch the easy, lazy way with NTFS R/W support, and thus, I removed all of the EndeavourOS packages and disabled the [endeavouros] repository.

I don't think you'll get any help from this forum. The only supported installation for Arch is via the official Installation Guide.
Arch keeps things simple. Install Arch the right way then learn how to use NTFS and UDF afterwards. It really is that simple.

So then, my main problem with NTFS and UDF is that even though I know how to manually mount them, I'd like to have the option of easily mounting them in read-write mode through the file manager with a single click on the NTFS/UDF volume and occasionally typing the root password in, like how I got used to in Ubuntu when I made the leap (let it be Dolphin, Nemo, Nautilus or Thunar).

How can I use ntfs-3g and udftools in such a way that the file manager could mount it in read-write mode, like how Ubuntu did?

Last edited by TheFurryWeeb (2021-06-24 10:59:18)

A computer and Linux nerd, an avid 2D platformer and RPG gamer and a furry combined into one person.

I hope I can help you out with your Arch issues and get myself helped out, as well.

#5 2021-06-24 11:18:00

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Your topic question has been answered -- it is not possible to convert an unsupported non-Arch installation to a supported Arch installation. As you are not running Arch we are not going to get into hypotheticals about setting up an Arch system to behave like Ubuntu.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer