You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-26 03:56:47

ralfst

Lots of outdated packages. Is the maintainer OK?

Hello,

I recently installed Gitea from the Arch Linux package repository.
I realized that the installed version is far behind the latest stable version on GitHub.
It looks like a lot of packages by that Maintainer have not been updated for a while.
Does the maintainer no longer contribute?

I'm asking because I want to know how to address this situation. Just waiting until an update comes, or installing the GitHub release which comes with the downside that I have to regularly look there and update Gitea by myself. I prefer letting pacman do the work smile

Kind regards,
Ralf

#2 2021-06-26 13:57:53

Lone_Wolf

Re: Lots of outdated packages. Is the maintainer OK?

Bruno Pagani aka archange sponspored a new TU on june 11 [1], so he was ok then .

I've looked at gitea site and archlinux currently ships the 1.13 branch of which 1.13.7 is the latest.

Gitea 1.14 is a later branch and is now at 1.14.3 .
There may be good reasons why archlinux hasn't switched to the newer branch, I suggest you ask about it on arch-general mailing list [2].

The other outdated pacakges would have to be assessed individually to determine why they haven't been updated.
Welcome to archlinux forums .

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/a … 36327.html
[2] https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/ , info about all archlinux mailing lists.

Edit : forgot arch-dev-public is read-only for users.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2021-06-26 13:59:06)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2021-07-13 14:45:47

pintergreg

Re: Lots of outdated packages. Is the maintainer OK?

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Bruno Pagani aka archange sponspored a new TU on june 11 [1], so he was ok then .

It's good to hear! I was just wondering the same thing as ralfst.
Practically, all of his packages is out of date for months, except those ones that were touched by other maintainers.

"If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago." /Oma Desala/
"You never get a second chance to make a first impression." /Gil Grissom/

Board footer