You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-08 22:40:42

foxbunny
Website

ArchWiki: layout problem

Take a look at this page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get … _PKGBUILDs

Just moved it to the new location. It's got four category assignments. The categories are squeezing the title into a tiny box to the left. That should be fixed ASAP because there will be more pages that have more than two or three categories.

EDIT:

Okay, removed just one category. Looks bette but still a bit problematic.

#2 2006-11-09 00:00:31

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: ArchWiki: layout problem

Ask Pierre if this problem exists in archlinux.de theme. I think it's fixed in monobook.

to live is to die

#3 2006-11-09 00:39:05

foxbunny
Website

Romashka wrote:

Ask Pierre if this problem exists in archlinux.de theme. I think it's fixed in monobook.

That problem cannot exist on archlinux.de theme (if you meant their wiki). The categories are listed BELOW the article at their wiki. However, I would like the categories to be presented ABOVE the article's title. Anyway, that is not a priority task.

#4 2006-11-09 10:29:25

Romashka
Forum Fellow

It is possible to make categories apperar not on to the right of title, but above it. Will this be OK?

#article {
 clear: right;
}

This should be added somewhere in arch.css.
Tested in Firefox and M$IE, but should work in Konqueror and Opera too.

to live is to die

#5 2006-11-09 10:45:31

foxbunny
Website

Romashka wrote:

It is possible to make categories apperar not on to the right of title, but above it. Will this be OK?

#article {
 clear: right;
}

This should be added somewhere in arch.css.
Tested in Firefox and M$IE, but should work in Konqueror and Opera too.

I used to be a web designer and I know what you're talking about, but for me it just doesn't look right (not that it wouldn't work, tho). I think it would be better to just change the template? The code you're suggesting seems more like a fix than a proper way to do it.

#6 2006-11-09 11:13:26

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

I used to be a web designer and I know what you're talking about, but for me it just doesn't look right (not that it wouldn't work, tho). I think it would be better to just change the template? The code you're suggesting seems more like a fix than a proper way to do it.

Yes, this is a quick fix. I'm web developer too.
There were talks to adopt theme from archlinux.de.
I think Pierre can be granted needed rights to do this.

to live is to die

#7 2006-11-09 13:40:20

foxbunny
Website

Romashka wrote:

There were talks to adopt theme from archlinux.de.
I think Pierre can be granted needed rights to do this.

Yeah, I voted for Pierre, too. However, his style needs to be tweaked a bit. It's nice, but not Arch nice, if you get my drift. I'll do the icons for the wiki, too. However, we need to do the other stuff first (like categorizing pages, hunting down badly written, obsolete, duplicate articles). wink

#8 2006-11-09 15:45:50

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

Yeah, I voted for Pierre, too. However, his style needs to be tweaked a bit. It's nice, but not Arch nice, if you get my drift. I'll do the icons for the wiki, too. However, we need to do the other stuff first (like categorizing pages, hunting down badly written, obsolete, duplicate articles). wink

I have nothing to say more, completely agree. :-)

to live is to die

#9 2006-11-09 15:57:46

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Pierre doesn't have the time to take on another wiki. At the moment, I am unaware of anyone besides Judd who has access to the server side stuff. I'd suggest creating a fix and posting it to the flyspray.
Dusty

#10 2006-11-10 09:54:22

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Dusty wrote:

Pierre doesn't have the time to take on another wiki. At the moment, I am unaware of anyone besides Judd who has access to the server side stuff. I'd suggest creating a fix and posting it to the flyspray.

OK, so I see that I should find time for changing our wiki template & styleshet. wink However, I cannot state that this will change very soon, 'cause I'm busy with another project now.

But how I could do this in such way that I don't break something? (I mean I cant test how it works directly on main server).
Hmm... Opera has nice features for saving page completely, even with CSS files from @import rules (Firefox lacks this feature), and the possibility to test webpages using cached CSS (which can be changed). I'll start from this.

Pierre PMed me URL for their theme. It still looks weird in IE and all CSS set is complex with a bunch of *Fixes.css, so I must clean-up and fix CSS, or even rework it from scratch.
Are wiki.archlinux.de colors good for archlinux.org? Should I use white background for text, or use current ArchWiki colorset?

to live is to die

#11 2006-11-10 16:27:46

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Romashka wrote:

Are wiki.archlinux.de colors good for archlinux.org? Should I use white background for text, or use current ArchWiki colorset?

Try to make it match the arch main page colours.

I'm not sure if you'll need access to the php files or just the html/css of the wiki -- you can get the latter using a download manager, but the php files are another thing. I've requested web server access from Judd so I can work on this stuff, but so far he's still sleeping. :-)

Dusty

#12 2006-11-10 17:46:52

foxbunny
Website

Romashka wrote:

Can I send you a PNG with the layout I have in mind? I'm planning to do it soon, so then I may be able to send you the file.

#13 2006-11-10 20:36:40

Romashka
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

Can I send you a PNG with the layout I have in mind? I'm planning to do it soon, so then I may be able to send you the file.

That would be nice.

to live is to die

#14 2006-11-10 23:42:56

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I've said this before and been ignored..... but a lot of the problem in the formatting of the forums and wiki, is not the wiki or forum. It's the common header files being shared.

Pierre does not have this problem, because he does not use this common header file -- probably because of the issues it causes. If we move to his style, then we're simply working around it -- and the common CSS will not be shared as it should.

http://www.archlinux.org/media/arch.css

Look at the first line:

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

See that? It applies to EVERYTHING. Hence the problems in the Forum's Arch theme, and the wiki's total lack of spacing anywhere.

Further down in the CSS, there's code thats applies to the wiki -- this should not be in the global header file! It should be in the mediawiki CSS. No matter what you do, in trying to modify the mediawiki's CSS file, you're going to struggle getting anywhere with that broken header there specifying styles.

This CSS file needs to be rewritten, with local things inside declared LOCALLY. Things for the main page do not need to be specified for the wiki and the forums, and thus can be included in a seperate CSS file on the homepage only. Likewise for forum and wiki formatting.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5815

James

Board footer