You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-07 05:00:52

s7hoang

Should I Be Generating Self-Signed Certs As Part Of A Package?

Nevermind.

I remembered that there's still much manual work regardless.
It makes more sense to just include post-install instructions.

----

So I've been managing a package for a little while now for a self-hosted anki server.

In that time, the Android client of the anki program changed to require that the server support HTTPS instead of just using HTTP.

This meant that self-signed (or other) certs became necessary to actually work.  I got it working for myself but I never ended up updating the package to generate the self-signed certs because I wasn't sure that was a good idea (potential security issues?).  As a result the package requires a bit of work on top of installing the package in order to to allow it to work seamlessly as it used to.  Technically the current package still works, but not for the Android client unless you use a non-supported older version now.

I've been wondering if it makes sense to generate the self-signed certs as part of the installation of the package or just leave some instructions on how to go about doing it (or something else)?

Thanks.

Last edited by s7hoang (2021-07-07 09:42:38)

#2 2021-07-07 05:32:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Should I Be Generating Self-Signed Certs As Part Of A Package?

Editing your thread title and changing it to something that actually describes your issue/question would be a good start, the current one is so generic to be meaningless:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2021-07-07 09:05:15

s7hoang

Re: Should I Be Generating Self-Signed Certs As Part Of A Package?

Great idea.
Bookmarked code of conduct for future reference.

Board footer