You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-09 06:21:04

wiremore

Firefox 2.0

I was pretty excited to get the new firefox package, but I'm a little disappointed now that it's finally hit current. The spell checker is kind of neat, but the new tabs are really ugly and don't fit with my theme at all. Also, it calls itself "Bon Echo" and doesn't use the nice firefox logo like 1.5 did. Is this some sort of licensing problem? Is there a compilation option to turn off the new tabs? What does everyone else think?

Arthur

#2 2006-11-09 06:28:59

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Firefox 2.0

wiremore wrote:

Also, it calls itself "Bon Echo" and doesn't use the nice firefox logo like 1.5 did. Is this some sort of licensing problem?

Yes. Discussion here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=25541

EDIT: I corrected the link so it now points to  the relevant  thread..

#3 2006-11-09 09:23:01

Jarsto
Website

As for the tabs, open about:config in Firefox (just type it in as a URL) then filter for "tabs" and set "browser.tabs.closeButtons" to 3 to get the old system back. If you like to use a lot of tabs at once you might also want to take "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" down.

Jarsto

#4 2006-11-09 14:48:30

prim

wiremore wrote:

.. but the new tabs are really ugly and don't fit with my theme at all.
... Is there a compilation option to turn off the new tabs?
Arthur

Make a copy of the file /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox-2.0/chrome/classic.jar, unzip it. Replace skin/classic/global/browser.css with this one. Compress the archive again and replace old classic.jar with the new one.
Your tabs should look similar to other gtk apps.

I've read somewhere that Firefox extension called Stylish can also be used, but I don't now how to do this.

EDIT: After searching a bit, I've found a style for Stylish.

Feel free to correct my English

#5 2006-11-09 17:11:12

johnisevil
Website

So far I like Firefox 2.0.  I find it to be faster than previous versions.  The way the tabs look is a small cosmetic annoyance that I'm willing to look past.  My only minor problem was to do with fonts being too small.  All that I needed to do to fix that was open up about:config and change layout.css.dpi from -1 to 0.

#6 2006-11-09 17:33:24

wiremore

This is great, just what I wanted. Thanks.

#7 2006-11-09 17:33:43

Kindred

prim wrote:

EDIT: After searching a bit, I've found a style for Stylish.

Yeah, you can just put this in userChrome.css also, it was the first thing I looked for after installing FF2.  I have absolutely no idea why they went and did that to the tabs, crazy...

#8 2006-11-10 04:25:10

miguelmmg

It could be great if we could get permission from Mozilla to use official brand an logos, its so hard to get it?

Well, I found one trouble with new Firefox package, the user agent is set to:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; es-MX; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061026 BonEcho/2.0

So... when I go to Yahoo! it says I need tu upgrade mi browser to Firefox 1.5 to view the contents of the site. Then I change the UA to:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; es-MX; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061026 Firefox/2.0

And Yahoo didn't show any mesage about upgrading browser.

It could be possible to preserve same UA of Official Firefox in firefox (Bon Echo) package? Where I can suggest that?

#9 2006-11-10 11:13:50

augustob

miguelmmg wrote:

It could be possible to preserve same UA of Official Firefox in firefox (Bon Echo) package? Where I can suggest that?

Not without considerable trouble. What changes the name "Firefox" to "BonEcho" is the simple removal of this line from the mozconfig file:

ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

To not use the official brand but maintain the user agent would mean seding the source code/default config file, which is, by anyone's standards, a pain in the ass.

To cut matters short I've just taken the ABS PKGBUILD, added this line to mozconfig, changed the source of the icons and now basically have a Firefox that looks like the original with all the patches Mozilla doesn't want. This may be ethically unsound, but I bet a bunch of others are doing it as well.

#10 2006-11-10 14:42:15

sh__

You can switch the UA in about:config by changing the value of general.useragent.extra.firefox.

Or get Swiftfox from AUR. It has a nice logo.  smile

#11 2006-11-10 16:21:37

lessthanjake
Website

FF is getting more and more alien on my Gnome desktop, even that it's actually a gtk application sad It need its own theme, its own dictionary, its own language pack, and still it looks and feels different. Hope Epiphany getting more users and hence more extensions and development.

#12 2006-11-10 17:26:22

PJ

lessthanjake wrote:

FF is getting more and more alien on my Gnome desktop, even that it's actually a gtk application sad It need its own theme, its own dictionary, its own language pack, and still it looks and feels different. Hope Epiphany getting more users and hence more extensions and development.

You could always try Iceweasel (it is possible to get from AUR). IMO it does a smoother and faster rendering compared to firefox 2. As a matter of fact, I am using it right now.

<Edit>
There is a difference between Debian's version and GNU's version of Iceweasel. As far as I know Debian is just going to remove the branding. That is not the issue with the GNU version which is the one I am using.
</Edit>

#13 2006-11-11 00:18:02

FoPref
Website

Hi,

I understand firefox had to be renamed, but I wonder why the package is still called "firefox" then? And is it allowed to call the package firefox?

Regards,
Ford Prefect

#14 2006-11-11 00:57:56

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lessthanjake wrote:

epiphany is looking great right now, it's replaced firefox 2 as my browser.

There's quite a few extensions now, and once the python interface gets completed, there'll be a lot more. I'm lookin forward to being able to write extensions in python.

currently i've got greasemonkey, adblocker, auto reload, and a couple of other interface tweaks loded.

On top of that, I dont get the font rendering problems i've had in firefox, it acts like a proper GTK app unlike firefox, and is far more responsive than firefox.

with a couple of extensions, its not all too different either: http://archlinux.org/~james/epiphany.png

James

#15 2006-11-11 04:52:19

lessthanjake
Website

Yes Epiphany is my defult browser, stopped using firefox some time ago. And it is already possible to write python-extensions, I have just tried it for a hour or so, but it did not seem very hard.

ATM, I think Epiphany is great and the best gtk-browser around, but everything can be improved smile

#16 2006-11-11 05:18:49

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lessthanjake wrote:

Yes Epiphany is my defult browser, stopped using firefox some time ago. And it is already possible to write python-extensions, I have just tried it for a hour or so, but it did not seem very hard.

ATM, I think Epiphany is great and the best gtk-browser around, but everything can be improved smile

yeah, but currently there's no method of accessing the mozilla object for the current page via python (you can in C), which means you cant look at the source or adjust it -- unless you get the url and download it again, which is just poor and flawed.

James

#17 2006-11-11 05:41:03

lessthanjake
Website

Oh, didn't know that. I only tried to tweek the UI.

#18 2006-11-11 11:01:47

FoPref
Website

Epiphany is the successor of Galeon. The Problem is, Galeon was more powerful (or I would say, better) - on the other side, it was a little bit unstable, and it isn't maintained anymore.

I switched to FF because of the adblock extension (+FiltersetG). It is so damn good, I wouldn't want to miss it any more! It's just the whole web without any single annoying ad!

It's sad, I really would love to stick to Galeon/Epiphany...

#19 2006-11-11 11:10:01

JGC
Developer

iphitus wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:

yeah, but currently there's no method of accessing the mozilla object for the current page via python (you can in C), which means you cant look at the source or adjust it -- unless you get the url and download it again, which is just poor and flawed.

James

Wasn't that pyxpcom support you requested for the next version of xulrunner?

#20 2006-11-11 17:01:53

raymano
Website

Firefox 2.0 is working fine for me, and it does seem faster, except one little glitch. In the previous version of Firefox (1.5...) I was able to watch yahoo news videos with a combination of flashplugin 9.0 beta and mplayer plugin without any problems. Yahoo news videos first play a commercial then flashplugin redirects the browser to the actual video. This happened seamlessly in Firefox 1.5 but Firefox 2.0 now stops after playing the commercial. Is there a parameter I can change in about:config that would make this work again? I can recreate this problem trying to play any of the videos at http://news.yahoo.com/video.

Also, is there a feature that would allow each tab to have their own cookies? For example is it possible to be logged into a mail site like gmail in one tab as one person and in another tab as another person?

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#21 2006-11-11 23:52:05

iphitus
Forum Fellow

FoPref: Epiphany includes adblock out of the box, and other galeon features as extensions.

JGC wrote:

Wasn't that pyxpcom support you requested for the next version of xulrunner?

yep. Part of the reason for not implementing it has been that distros havn't included it. Debian, ubuntu and another distro started packaging it recently, so they've begun work on linking pyxpcom in. I was hoping to start pulling CVS once they do get it in, because it's going to rock being able to write extensions entirely in python.

So yeah, it doesnt need it *now* but it will need it soon.

James

#22 2006-11-12 20:48:31

SiD

augustob wrote:
miguelmmg wrote:

Not without considerable trouble. What changes the name "Firefox" to "BonEcho" is the simple removal of this line from the mozconfig file:

ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

To not use the official brand but maintain the user agent would mean seding the source code/default config file, which is, by anyone's standards, a pain in the ass.

To cut matters short I've just taken the ABS PKGBUILD, added this line to mozconfig, changed the source of the icons and now basically have a Firefox that looks like the original with all the patches Mozilla doesn't want. This may be ethically unsound, but I bet a bunch of others are doing it as well.

how do I change the source of the icons?

#23 2006-11-12 22:14:50

RevertTS

Does anyone know how to get rid of the left/right arrows for scrolling through the tabs?  I've been messing with stuff in about:config and haven't found any way to change it.

#24 2006-11-12 22:22:01

dedhart

I havent been able to get anything to download automaticly. I thought at first maybe something was wrong with the link I followed, but then I clicked properties and used wget to download the song. This is unacceptable and I want my old firefox back.

#25 2006-11-12 22:59:52

Kindred

RevertTS wrote:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the left/right arrows for scrolling through the tabs?  I've been messing with stuff in about:config and haven't found any way to change it.

set browser.tabs.tabMinWidth to 0

Board footer