You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-10 22:29:27

m!cele

Trouble getting DMA working ...

Hi all,

on my Thinkpad X30 i installed an arch 0.7.2 - i compiled my own kernel (for wireless issues and so on ...) from vanilla source and now it get the warning (while booting), that DMA isn't enabled!
if i try to enable it using hdparm i get

HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Invalid argument

it is an intel chipset and i think i build anything in kernel i need for proper dma-usage! any solutions? perhaps somethin in kernel-config is missing, but what do i need?

thank you all!

#2 2006-11-10 23:20:08

m!cele

Re: Trouble getting DMA working ...

i tired a little bit and using the nativ arch kernel (2.6.18.1) it works. so it has to depend on my own kernel. i grepped the config for "DMA" but all options are set same. what else can i look for?

#3 2006-11-11 00:09:34

slackhack

for a 2.6.x kernel, try Device Drivers -> ATA/ATAPI/etc. Support -> [*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support and <*> Intel PIIXn chipsets support

#4 2006-11-11 10:31:56

m!cele

slackhack wrote:

for a 2.6.x kernel, try Device Drivers -> ATA/ATAPI/etc. Support -> [*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support and <*> Intel PIIXn chipsets support

thx - i allready tried even this solutions yesterday night and it works - but quiet nonsatisfying. now the system boots including dma and i don't get the warning. aso hdparm tells, that dma is anabled. the speed seems ok.
but if i try to set the dma mode manually (using hdparm) i get also error-message (... invalid agrument). so i can not sepcify the dma mode and so on ..

any solutions? thanks!

#5 2006-11-11 16:34:10

tardo

what command are you running?

#6 2006-11-11 19:40:37

m!cele

tardo wrote:

what command are you running?

hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda2

also with -X66 for example

#7 2006-11-11 20:02:59

tardo

You shouldn't have to use /dev/hda2
/dev/hda suffices because you want DMA on the entire drive, not the partitiion (whether hdparm corrects this is unknown to me).

try

hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

#8 2006-11-11 20:22:22

slackhack

m!cele wrote:
slackhack wrote:

thx - i allready tried even this solutions yesterday night and it works - but quiet nonsatisfying. now the system boots including dma and i don't get the warning. aso hdparm tells, that dma is anabled. the speed seems ok.
but if i try to set the dma mode manually (using hdparm) i get also error-message (... invalid agrument). so i can not sepcify the dma mode and so on ..

any solutions? thanks!

great, so it works. wink as tardo said, don't specify the partition, just /dev/hda. don't forget you have to be root.

#9 2006-11-11 21:04:22

m!cele

slackhack wrote:
m!cele wrote:
slackhack wrote:

any solutions? thanks!

great, so it works. wink as tardo said, don't specify the partition, just /dev/hda. don't forget you have to be root.

oh dear wink ok i even thought i tried it with the device (and even not only the partition) .. so i will try - but     presumably it'll work .. wink thanks!

Board footer