#1 2006-11-11 02:21:12

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

make randconfig

tyler@cobalt ~ $ cd /usr/src/linux*
tyler@cobalt /usr/src/linux $ make help |grep random
  randconfig      - New config with random answer to all options

:?:
Why would someone want a random kernel? 'Sup with dat?

#2 2006-11-11 02:57:26

PJ

Re: make randconfig

I am not completely sure about this, just guessing. 

I would use something like that to solve dependency problems inside the kernel. Imagine a script that has one task and that is to build kernel with randomized configs. Sooner or later it will find something that doesn't build properly, which will then result in a bug-report.

#3 2006-11-11 07:35:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

testing. finding build errors, finding various combinations that won't build together, because often that may highlight bugs, either build or otherwise. there's a lot of two/three state options, so building with the same config could easily miss combinations.

On the other hand, most developers wouldnt use it -- being focused on their own subsystem and areas. It would probably be most useful on a dedicated build box, repeating builds over and over checking for faults. 

James

#4 2006-11-11 11:31:40

tomk
Forum Fellow

/me builds kernel26rand tongue

Dirty Harry (almost) wrote:

I know what you're thinking. "Did he use oldconfig or randconfig?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is 2.6.19-rc5-mm1, the most bleeding-edge kernel source in the world, and could blow your system away, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, geek?

Research material for this post provided by imdb.com

#5 2006-11-11 12:18:19

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

/me builds kernel26rand tongue

Dirty Harry (almost) wrote:

I know what you're thinking. "Did he use oldconfig or randconfig?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is 2.6.19-rc5-mm1, the most bleeding-edge kernel source in the world, and could blow your system away, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, geek?

Research material for this post provided by imdb.com

lol

Thanks guys, that makes more sense than my "linus must have been drunk" theory.

Board footer