You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-11 13:57:10

sokuban

I'm Thinking of getting Arch Linux

I am a fairly new Linux user, got Kubuntu about 6 months ago. I almost immediately changed to Xubuntu because Kubuntu was simply too bloated for me.

Been using Xubuntu since and keeping on changing distros. Most of the changes failed except Fedora Core 6. However I don't really like gnome and FC seems to be based around gnome.

The biggest problem I have been having with distros is that they cannot detect my internet, thus I have a lot of trouble using them. I have a fairly new computer with a

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

The screen often has problems because it is widescreen and it gives me a normal resolution, but that is easier to fix.

Debian Sarge had major problems with the hard drive and thought that my sata drive was an ide drive for some odd reason. Thus I couldn't boot, and when I could, I had a pretty weird debian.

I am a kid at home so I have free time and no important data. Thus I don't care if anything at all happens to my computer as long as the hardware is safe. (Software is free, but my parents would kill me if the hardware breaks.)

I like the Arch ideals of keeping it simple and I am going to download it first thing tomorrow morning and pray that it can get internet working and install on a SATA drive without a fuss.

One main reason I want to switch from Xubuntu is because Xubuntu has gnome dependancies, because I am crazy I want a machine with none of that on the system at all.

I'm willing to work on the internet and the drive if it has problems. We'll see tomorrow.

PS: My computer's name is Arche, so Arch sounds cute to go with it.

Look forward to seeing me around.

#2 2006-11-11 14:29:31

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: I'm Thinking of getting Arch Linux

I recommend you to install Arch from tpowa's updated ISOs wink

to live is to die

#3 2006-11-11 23:37:50

sokuban

ISOs with better hardware detection or something?

I'll try those out and see how it works.

Thanks.

#4 2006-11-11 23:41:10

fk

ISOs with better hardware detection?

yes better hardware detection

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#5 2006-11-12 00:54:57

sokuban

Oh my, can't even boot it.

Something along the lines of

<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: tried to kill init!

(Though that was typed from memory.)

Now what might have happened?

#6 2006-11-12 01:14:45

PeteMo
Website

I don't know why you can't boot, but you might try looking here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=25236

I know that thread contains some discussion of kernel panics with the iso.

#7 2006-11-12 01:55:04

sokuban

Ah, that thread seems to describe it all. I haven't tried anything, but I have a dual core too.

If I still have problems I'll go to that thread.

Thanks.

Board footer