You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-03 20:26:22

zoltansz

Maple2020: no text in the GUI

Hi,

I have installed Maple2020 on an up-to-date vanilla Arch system. There was no error message during the installation process but at the very last step (activation) I got a window with no text, just empty buttons (they were functional though) and a text field (expectedly for the activation code) which one can not write or copy-paste to.

Below I provide a summary of what I experience / tried.

1. One can start the Maple GUI

$ maple2020/bin/xmaple

but the windows and buttons lack text (as in the last phase of the installation). The issue is present under different desktop environments / window managers; I tested Gnome and Enlightenment.

2. The activation script

$ maple2020/bin/activation

produces 'no-text' window. Calling it as

$ maple2020/bin/activation -console

the activation can be carried out from command line. Starting the Maple GUI after activation gives no-text windows again; the command line Maple

$ maple2020/bin/maple

starts without issue.

3. Before the Maple installation I made sure to have the officially supported Java environment (OpenJDK) installed:

# pacman -Suyy jdk-openjdk
    $ archlinux-java status
    Available Java environments:
      java-16-openjdk (default)
  4. After the Maple installation, I tried

1. to install the package faking a Linux Standard Base runtime

# pacman -Suyy ld-lsb

in accordance with the suggestions on the Maple page of Arch Wiki and the FAQ of Maplesoft,

2. to link the system's libstdc++ in maple2020/bin.X86_64_LINUX/system

$ ln -s /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 .../maple2020/bin.X86_64_LINUX/system/libstdc++.so.6
      $ ln -s /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.29 .../maple2020/bin.X86_64_LINUX/system/libstdc++.so.6.0.20

as raised on the Maple page of Arch Wiki; they have no effect, I experience the same no-text windows.

3. to start Maple from command line

$ maple2020/bin/xmaple

The Maple interface shows up, but with no-text windows and in the terminal I see the message

Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:
      Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (0) and height (15) cannot be <= 0
      	at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(DirectColorModel.java:1016)
      	at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:333)
      	at com.maplesoft.worksheet.components.WmiQuickHelp.createIcon(WmiQuickHelp.java:212)
      	at com.maplesoft.worksheet.components.WmiQuickHelp.init(WmiQuickHelp.java:122)
      	at com.maplesoft.worksheet.components.WmiQuickHelp.<init>(WmiQuickHelp.java:88)
      	at com.maplesoft.worksheet.view.WmiWorksheetView.createQuickHelpPopup(WmiWorksheetView.java:481)
      	at com.maplesoft.worksheet.controller.view.palettes.WmiActions.clearPanel(WmiActions.java:462)
      	at com.maplesoft.mathdoc.controller.insert.WmiActionsCommand.clearPanel(WmiActionsCommand.java:1795)
      	at com.maplesoft.mathdoc.controller.insert.WmiActionsCommand.lambda$clearPanel$11(WmiActionsCommand.java:1818)
      	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
      	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
      	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:190)
      	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:235)
      	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
      	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
      	at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1084)
      	at com.maplesoft.mathdoc.dialog.WmiDialog.showImpl(WmiDialog.java:909)
      	at com.maplesoft.mathdoc.dialog.WmiMessageDialog.showImpl(WmiMessageDialog.java:763)
      	at com.maplesoft.mathdoc.dialog.WmiDialog.show(WmiDialog.java:903)
      	at com.maplesoft.mathdoc.activation.WmiActivationManager.showLicenseErrorDialog(WmiActivationManager.java:149)
      	at com.maplesoft.worksheet.connection.WmiStartupKernelAdapter$1.run(WmiStartupKernelAdapter.java:263)
      	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
      	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
      	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
      	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
    4. to contact the Maple support. They kindly suggest migrating to Red Hat / Suse / Ubuntu.

5. older OpenJDK environments (java-11-openjdk, java-8-openjdk, java-7-openjdk) and with Oracle JDK (java-16-jdk); I experience the same symptoms.

Any ideas on how to cure/investigate further this no-text issue to be able to use the Maple GUI natively (without VMs) on Arch?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by zoltansz (2021-08-08 17:36:29)

#2 2021-08-03 20:46:03

wnaBee

Re: Maple2020: no text in the GUI

Now, I am no expert on anything to do with arch and i have absolutely NO experience with maple but a quick glance at the error log you provide piqued my interest:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (0) and height (15) cannot be <= 0

Which to me looks like a variable called "Width" is set to zero (0). Try tracing the error message back and changing the value from 0 to 1 or greater.
Don't quote me on this, but I'm guessing the "Width" variable sets the width of the text, and for some reason it's set to zero rendering a seemingly blank box.
Pure guess, but may still be worth a try. smile

I know nothing.

Board footer