You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-15 10:59:43

vaisakhmk

Unable to connect to a wireless network during live boot

Hi all, I am trying to install arch linux on my laptop, but am stuck as I am unable to connect to internet via wireless networks.

I tried to connect to wifi using iwctl. Typing 'device list' in iwd shows 'wlan0' as a device which is powered on (adapter: phy0). After scanning for networks (station wlan0 scan), when I try to see the available networks using 'station wlan0 get-networks' I am getting the message 'No networks available'.

I referred to ArchWiki, made sure that the card is unblocked using rfkill (both hard unblocked and soft unblocked), also made sure that wlan0 is enabled using ip link. The response to 'ip link show dev wlan0' reads as
wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ec:0e:c4:62:1f:0b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
I tried enabling dhcpcd service as suggested in a forum post, but that didn't make any difference.

I am pretty sure that the wifi is tuned on. When I reboot my system to an arch linux based distro installed on the system (I have garuda linux currently installed which I am trying to replace with arch), I am able to see the networks and connect to them using iwctl without any trouble.

I am trying to connect to wifi using the hotspots of mobile phones. Tried hotspots from more than one mobile phone. Connecting an ethernet cable for internet connection is not an option for me, nor do I have any wifi other than those from mobile phone hotspots. I have disabled fast boot and secure boot from BIOS. SATA controller is set to AHCI mode and the boot mode is UEFI. I am using the iso version 2021.08.01, after verifying its signature.

I would highly appreciate any advice in this regard. Thanks in advance.

#2 2021-08-17 11:14:19

Khere

Re: Unable to connect to a wireless network during live boot

Have you tried to use

wifi-menu

When i had installed arch the first time i remember that i had a issue with the wireless connection, but using the wifi-menu command it has been solved

Last edited by Khere (2021-08-17 11:14:31)

Fan of Giorgio Moroder & Mohammad Ammax enemy

#3 2021-08-17 11:28:17

Slithery
Administrator

Khere wrote:

Have you tried to use

wifi-menu

When i had installed arch the first time i remember that i had a issue with the wireless connection, but using the wifi-menu command it has been solved

Pointless advice, the installation media hasn't contained netctl (therefore wifi-menu) for ages now.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-08-17 14:25:18

vaisakhmk

Khere wrote:

Have you tried to use

wifi-menu

Thanks for reaching out. But arch iso does not come with wifi-menu any more. I guess it's replaced by iwd.

Board footer