You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-19 18:08:33

dallas

AMDVLK drops support for Pre-Polaris and Pre-Raven GPUs

Mesa's Vulkan implementation "vulkan-radeon" is still supported and has been working much better for me. Just install it and remove any and all other Vulkan drivers.
Thanks @V1del

As per commit on AMDVLK on Github from June 24, all support for Pre-Polaris and Pre-Raven GPUs is dropped.
This will show up as AMDGPU driver seemingly being incompatible with Vulkan.

Mentioned GPU's do support Vulkan on hardware, and worked well.
AMDGPU-PRO drivers haven't been checked, but they're very iffy on anything anyways

You can also downgrade amdvlk to version "v-2021.Q2.5" or older. https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/ … kg.tar.zst installed with "pacman -U pkgname.tar.zst" should work, but is inadvisable.

Last edited by dallas (2021-08-19 21:28:43)

#2 2021-08-19 20:55:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: AMDVLK drops support for Pre-Polaris and Pre-Raven GPUs

Just in case this is a point of confusion, you're aware that radv/radeon-vulkan has no relation to radeon the kernel driver and requires amdgpu the kernel driver just the same? Afaik RADV should still work for these (...unless it never did) and might generally be considered more stable than amdvlk.

#3 2021-08-19 21:24:08

dallas

Re: AMDVLK drops support for Pre-Polaris and Pre-Raven GPUs

V1del wrote:

Just in case this is a point of confusion, you're aware that radv/radeon-vulkan has no relation to radeon the kernel driver and requires amdgpu the kernel driver just the same? Afaik RADV should still work for these (...unless it never did) and might generally be considered more stable than amdvlk.

I have not tested the "vulkan-radeon" for the same reason you already guessed, the name didn't seem to make much sense.

After installing it, I "-Rs" 'd the "amdvlk" package, vulkaninfo shows output full of information I can't understand.
Playing Deep Rock Galactic using Proton Experimental shows -5 FPS performance penalty, but eliminates constant performance drops.

For one a package with "radeon" on it behaves better than "amdgpu", thank you.

Last edited by dallas (2021-08-19 22:29:42)

Board footer