You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-22 13:21:02

Luciddream

Split opencl-amd package into multiple packages

Hi, I have the same question about another package, lets say if I want to split opencl-amd package into multiple packages, what is the way to do that? Should I first create the new pkgbase and commit the files there, then make a merge request on the original package? Who approves that merge request? I'm only a co-maintainer of this package so I'm not sure if it's even possible to do it from my side. But any info is welcome!

#2 2021-08-23 02:50:36

altermetax

Re: Split opencl-amd package into multiple packages

opencl-amd is not in the same state Eclipse was, Eclipse had multiple sources and built multiple packages, all with one PKGBUILD. opencl-amd is a single source. If you want to split it to multiple packages, it depends on how you want to split it.

#3 2021-08-23 08:20:28

Luciddream

altermetax wrote:

opencl-amd is not in the same state Eclipse was, Eclipse had multiple sources and built multiple packages, all with one PKGBUILD. opencl-amd is a single source. If you want to split it to multiple packages, it depends on how you want to split it.

Hi, I agree it's not the same, but the discussion is similar so I thought it would be better to ask here and not open a new topic about it. I'm trying to see if and how it would be possible to get a new pkgbase (example opencl-amd-installer) and keep the same name for one of the packages (opencl-amd and lib32-opencl-amd). I assume the PKGBUILD will then be a single one for the pkgbase.

Last edited by Luciddream (2021-08-23 08:22:48)

#4 2021-08-23 09:29:32

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Split from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=269000

Please do not hijack other threads, even if they are similar in nature.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Genera … _hijacking

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2021-08-23 10:53:12

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

lib32- packages usually need different build settings then their 64-bit counterparts.

Also they often depend on their 64-bit versions for some functionality, so the 64-bit version should be build / installed first .

Some software is able to build both x86_64 and i686 code without extra settings (gcc for example), but the majority of software is unable to do that.

EDIT : I just realised luciddream is co-maintainer of opencl-amd and there has been discussion about this on the aur page .

Some comments :

if people complain because they have to download the same source tarball twice, they shoud configure makepkg better .
Look up SRCDEST in man makepkg.conf for a much better method to avoid that.

Building opencl-amd / lib32-opencl-amd from one split package will fail unless users have multilib enabled .
multilib repo is disabled by default, do you really want to force users that only need the 64-bit version to enable that repo ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2021-08-23 10:53:34)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2021-08-23 11:13:14

Luciddream

I don't want to force users to need multilib. I also like to keep things simple, but to try and satisfy everyone, I'm investigating at this point if it's feasible and what the process is, so I know how to do it if I eventually have to. From what I understand, users will still be able to only install opencl-amd package and don't care about the lib32 package at all, if they don't install the new pkgbase.

if people complain because they have to download the same source tarball twice, they shoud configure makepkg better .
Look up SRCDEST in man makepkg.conf for a much better method to avoid that.

Thanks I will take a look.

#7 2021-08-24 11:29:48

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Luciddream wrote:

From what I understand, users will still be able to only install opencl-amd package and don't care about the lib32 package at all, if they don't install the new pkgbase.

For installing that is correct, but for building it isn't .
When building packages makepkg builds everything listed in the pkgname array.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer