You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-23 10:05:59

pebble

[SOLVED] Blank screen after boot selection

Hi

After distro-hopping for a while, I decided to go back to arch, as it's where I feel most at home.

However, I have an issue when trying to boot off the live USB:

After selecting arch linux from the USB in systemd-boot, the screen goes completely blank, and nothing displays. I think the system may be running, but that there's just some issue with the graphics driver on the ISO (which I downloaded today).

Booting the installed OS on my laptop (Slackware current) still works fine, so if you need any info, I might be able to get it. As I said, it might be a graphics driver issue.

Specs:
Intel i3 6100U with integrated graphics
8GB RAM

I'm starting to miss arch, so I really hope that there is a solution.
Thanks in advance,
pebble

EDIT:
This turned out seem to be an ACPI error in the kernel. Booting with the parameter

acpi=off

allowed me to boot. After this, I installed the LTS kernel, and things are working fine. I'm marking this as solved, but this may be an issue for others, and this seems to be a kernel bug.

I did, however, have to use an external keyboard for the installation, as the laptop's keyboard wasn't responding.

Last edited by pebble (2021-08-23 16:21:52)

#2 2021-08-23 10:12:36

d_fajardo

Re: [SOLVED] Blank screen after boot selection

Have you tried booting the live USB with nomodeset kernel flag? Also was the download verified before writing to disk?

#3 2021-08-23 10:25:20

pebble

Re: [SOLVED] Blank screen after boot selection

d_fajardo wrote:

Have you tried booting the live USB with nomodeset kernel flag? Also was the download verified before writing to disk?

I did verify the ISO, and I tried adding the nomodeset kernel flag (should be done by pressing e and adding nomodeset to the end of the string in systemd-boot if I'm not mistaken). No luck, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply, though c:

Board footer