You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-30 17:48:36

quillen

Encountering 'module not found' error during pacstrap/mkinitcpio.

I'm trying to run pacstrap on an old Arch partition where gcc and pacman were corrupted. I have the most recent Archiso from 2021/08/01 running 5.13.06, and as of writing, the most recent build should be 5.13.13 from a few days ago. (The discrepency between versions shouldn't matter.) Upon running

pacstrap /mnt base linux linux-firmware

I get the following errors.

http://ix.io/3y3L

The errors also appear when running

pacstrap /mnt linux

and

mkinitcpio -p linux

I saw some forum posts about it, but they were old, irrelevant, or suggested that the problem was upstream.

I still have serious problems with inconsistencies in pacman's dependency tree upon arch-chroot, so I plan to nuke the partition and start fresh, but I am worried the above issue is completely orthogonal and will persist upon nuke.

moderator edit -- replaced oversized image with link.
Pasting pictures and code

Last edited by quillen (2021-09-05 22:17:30)

#2 2021-08-31 02:12:41

linux411

Re: Encountering 'module not found' error during pacstrap/mkinitcpio.

Are you running 'pacstrap' as root after mounting your installation drive on '/mnt' or was the above 'pacman /mnt base linux linux-firmware' a typo? The usual command is 'pacstrap /mnt base linux linux-firmware' but adding base-devel can be of help.

#3 2021-08-31 10:02:02

V1del
Forum Moderator

Which modules did it list? Some are potentially normal and harmless, post the exact output instead of paraphrasing https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services (... and as stated above you probably meant to write pacstrap, try to be precise here)

#4 2021-09-03 07:20:59

quillen

linux411 wrote:

Are you running 'pacstrap' as root after mounting your installation drive on '/mnt' or was the above 'pacman /mnt base linux linux-firmware' a typo?

Yes, I'm running pacstrap after mounting my installation drive on /mnt. The pacman was just a typo. I fixed it.

V1del wrote:

Which modules did it list?

I'll try again later today and send over the exact output if the issue persists. If the issue does not persist, I'll update the thread accordingly. Thanks for the Wiki link to the pastebin applications.

#5 2021-09-05 22:16:28

quillen

Apologies for the delay. Here is a pastebin link.

http://ix.io/3y3L

I'll also edit the OP to include this.

#6 2021-09-05 22:32:16

V1del
Forum Moderator

How old is the Arch installation? Have you tried including/updating mkinitcpio as well? Respectively if the base libs were broken you will want to reinstall every dependency of the base metapackage, just installing base will not really do anything as it's just a meta package.

#7 2021-09-06 06:42:34

quillen

V1del wrote:

How old is the Arch installation? Have you tried including/updating mkinitcpio as well? Respectively if the base libs were broken you will want to reinstall every dependency of the base metapackage, just installing base will not really do anything as it's just a meta package.

I haven't looked at the internals of pacstrap yet, but wouldn't it run pacman and mkinitcpio from the Archiso and not the installation partition? The Archiso is the newest available one, and it should pull the current version of the repos from the mirrors, anyways.

#8 2021-09-06 08:36:57

V1del
Forum Moderator

No, the point of pacstrap is to install the basic components into a designated root destination, on a fresh system mkinitcpio and the relevant dependencies will be installed and then the mkinitcpio from the just installed system is used.

The main thing pacstrap does is to ensure an usable mirrorlist/keyring exists so that the tools to be installed can do their job. If that's already the case it will simply run the pacman from the ISO with a different installation root, which will still use the hooks and information from the installed system.

You can read your log and will see that "base" is being reinstalled. Base being reinstalled leads to exactly nothing as it doesn't affect the dependencies of base. This is a "recent" change, it used to be a group in which case this would've worked

Last edited by V1del (2021-09-06 08:37:25)

Board footer