You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-14 17:06:30

LB06

Default file handler in frefox

Hello,

I'm recently switched from Konqueror to Firefox @ KDE. Everything works fine, but one thing that irritates me is that FF doesn't know how to use the KDE mime types DB. So for every file (doc/pdf/odt/xls etc) I have to point to the correct binary using the truly annoying file browser dialogue from Firefox.

So I started looking around how for example Opera handled it, and that browser opens the downloaded file with `kfmclient exec`, which automatically seems to open the file in the correct app. But the problem is, that with Firefox, I still have to point every file to that binary, which is almost as inconvenient as having to point each filetype to the real binary.

Does anyone know how to define a default file handler in Firefox? Or another way to let FF use the KDE filetype database? Thanks in advance.

#2 2006-11-14 17:43:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Default file handler in frefox

Firefox uses gnome's file associations if available.  There's no way around it.  HOWEVER, it also allows for /etc/mailcap and ~/.mailcap to override those settings (hooray).  If you can somehow export your kde settings to mailcap format, that would work.

#3 2006-11-15 11:19:32

LB06

phrakture wrote:

Firefox uses gnome's file associations if available.  There's no way around it.  HOWEVER, it also allows for /etc/mailcap and ~/.mailcap to override those settings (hooray).  If you can somehow export your kde settings to mailcap format, that would work.

That's a shame. I guess I'm going to switch back to Konqeror. It's way faster and lighter anyway smile

#4 2007-05-22 22:37:25

Bogart

If you install libgnome, Firefox will handle files correctly.

Board footer