You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-09 08:21:43

TofuWaffles

[SOLVED] Black screen upon attempting to boot ISO (graphical issue)

I've recently attempted to install Arch, so I burned the ISO onto my flash drive. However, upon booting and after selecting the boot mode I wanted (Arch Linux 64 bit Installation Medium), I encountered an error; full logs before the black screen shown below:

[      0.155919] x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
[      0.540372] ACPI BIOS Error  (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.IPPF._STA.P0S1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20210331/psargs-330)
[      0.540372] ACPI Error: Aborting method \.SB_IPPF.STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20210331/psparse-529)
[      0.647025] ACPI BIOS Error  (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.IPPF._STA.P0S1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20210331/psargs-330)
[      0.647029] ACPI Error: Aborting method \.SB_IPPF.STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20210331/psparse-529)
[      0.719065] ACPI BIOS Error  (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.IPPF._STA.P0S1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20210331/psargs-330)
[      0.719082] ACPI Error: Aborting method \.SB_IPPF.STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20210331/psparse-529)
::  running early hook [udev]
Starting version 249.3-1-arch
::  running early hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
::  running hook [udev]
::  Triggering uevents...

After these logs, the screen immediately turns black, staying that way seemingly indefinitely (I've waited for around 30 mins max). with it still being responsive to Ctrl+Alt+Del, which reboots the system.

I have tried Arch version 2021.09.01, 2021.08.01, 2021.07.01, all resulting in logs similar to the ones above.

My machine is the HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cs2xxx, with Intel i5-8265U. It has a UEFI system with Windows pre-installed (some storage has been deallocated to make room for Arch). I have also disabled Secure Boot from my machine's BIOs settings.

Last edited by TofuWaffles (2021-09-09 15:51:44)

#2 2021-09-09 09:15:29

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Black screen upon attempting to boot ISO (graphical issue)

Does the machine have a dedicated graphics card (probably nvidia ) ?

If yes, what is set as primary card in bios ?

You may also find https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_boot_with_Windows helpful.

Welcome to archlinux forums

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2021-09-09 15:00:59

TofuWaffles

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Welcome to archlinux forums

Thank you for the warm welcome and for taking the time to reply.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Does the machine have a dedicated graphics card (probably nvidia ) ?

If yes, what is set as primary card in bios ?

It runs on two graphics cards; the Intel UHD Graphics 620 and NVIDIA GeForce MX250. Unfortunately, I was unable to find out which one of these was the primary graphics card as I do not believe my bios settings reveals that information, nor provides me the option to change it.

On another note, I've read the Wiki article you've provided. From that I have hypothesized that it may have been because my USB drive had a MBR partition scheme, and have changed it to a GPT partition scheme with the ISO burnt on. However, that did not seem to work and I have encountered the same error after attempting to boot.

Furthermore, I went on to try out other Linux Distros out of frustration. Interestingly enough, I have discovered that this is a common occurrence with all Arch-based distros I have tried out; all other distros such as Ubuntu and Fedora booted flawlessly. I've also attempted to boot Arch-based Distros that allow booting with proprietary drives (NVIDIA) such as Garuda, but the same errors occur.

I'm planning to perhaps test with some older kernel of Arch tomorrow if all fails, if you'd recommend that. It's a shame because I really wanted to see what Arch had to offer!

#4 2021-09-09 15:25:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

The first step to trying to get to a terminal on a graphics error should be trying to boot with the nomodeset kernel parameter.

#5 2021-09-09 15:47:39

TofuWaffles

V1del wrote:

The first step to trying to get to a terminal on a graphics error should be trying to boot with the nomodeset kernel parameter.

Solved! Managed to reach the terminal and continue to a normal install. Thank you so much for your help!

For future users who may be viewing this thread because of this issue: simply press 'E' at the boot selection screen and add "nomodeset" (without quotes) to the end of the line. Good luck!

#6 2021-09-09 18:56:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

Note that this is an emergency option and you won't get actual graphics with it, but assuming you can do a proper install including all relevant drivers it is a good stop gap measure to get to an installed system.

#7 2021-09-10 06:15:14

TofuWaffles

V1del wrote:

Note that this is an emergency option and you won't get actual graphics with it, but assuming you can do a proper install including all relevant drivers it is a good stop gap measure to get to an installed system.

Thank you for the heads up. For now, it seems as though this is my only option, I will do further testing to get a better understanding of this issue I am having, but technically getting to the terminal solved the issue that I've posted. I shall consult the Wiki and other sources to troubleshoot any potential issues down the line. Again, thank you for your help thus far.

Board footer