You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-15 00:02:58

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Status of Wiki and Forum updates/migration/changes

Hey all,

I've spent about two hours e-mailing and PMing various people interested in helping out with various wiki and forum tasks. This thread is an announcement of the current status, with the intent of getting everyone up to date. Its also an invitation to people working independently on things to get in touch with me (dusty@buchuki.com), because I've found there's some duplicate labour going on out there. Please if you respond to this thread, keep on topic and be serious. Most of the current set up is about technical details; if you're not interested in these, don't post. Suggestions from interested observers can go in other threads (there's a lot to choose from!), I want actual feedback from people that are involved or willing to be involved with this project.

First, it looks like sometime in the future, we will be migrating the forums to punbb. The details haven't been hashed out yet, but Romashka and cactus have both been working on testing the migration process. Migration seems to be relatively simple, but there are a lot of small details to be worked out. I don't have any specific timeline, but I'm guessing the new forum won't be ready until sometime next year.

Second, we may be migrating to dokuwiki sometime in the future. I'm not sure when, but it probably won't be until after the forum migration or at the same time. Regardless of whether or not we migrate from mediawiki to dokuwiki, we are planning on integrating the wiki and forum authentication mechanism, so your account on one will also work on the other. (In the long run, I'm praying we can get organized enough to also integrate AUR and flyspray, but that's a vision not even open for discussion yet!).

Third, we are currently working on cleaning up the current mediawiki. Romashka is working on a new style and template to make the current installation more aesthetically tolerable. Foxbunny is working on the actual wiki texts, category, and language structure. Tardo has some kind of hack to deal with the multi-language issue; I'm not sure if that will be implemented, as I have no information yet on how difficult it is. Someone (possibly me) will also have to update the mediawiki installation from 1.5.whatever to 1.8.latest.

Chronologically, the cleanup of the current wiki will occur first, in the next few weeks, hopefully. Once we have an idea of how pretty and how organized we can make the existing installation, we will make the final decision on a dokuwiki migration. The integration of punbb and dokuwiki|mediawiki has to happen at about the same time, so the migration will not happen until after the forum migration.

We've have been considering setting up a mailing list or private forum for discussion of these topics, to restrict discussion to those people who are actually interested in helping out. Because I don't really like the elitist nature of such a move, I'm making this forum the place for open discussion on this topic for now.

Thanks,
Dusty

Board footer