You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-10 13:10:01

xsimplex

Boot Entry not showing up in GRUB menu after installation

Hey,

I am currently trying to reinstall Arch on my desktop PC and the installation so far was a breeze, but now I am completely stumped.
I followed the installation guide to the end, exited the chroot, rebooted and was greeted by a GRUB menu only containing the entry "*UEFI Firmware Settings" and no entry to boot the newly installed Linux OS from.
The grub.cfg file definitely contains an entry for the installation, so I don't understand why it won't show up on boot.
One thing I am unsure about is whether the Boot partition actually needs to be mounted during startup. Since in the installation guide the boot partition is not mounted before the fstab file is generated, there is no entry in my fstab file for the boot partition. Could this be part of the problem?

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Any additional information needed I can also supply.

xsimplex

Last edited by xsimplex (2021-09-10 13:13:02)

#2 2021-09-10 14:48:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Boot Entry not showing up in GRUB menu after installation

That depends, if you've indeed made a a /boot partition that you mounted after the pacstrap that you then installed GRUB into, that will potentially depending on the order of things leave you with

1. A /boot partition that only contains GRUB and no kernels, and the kernels being in the /boot directory of your root. got masked by your mount, and lead to a config and a GRUB install that doesn't know about the kernels

2. A /boot partition that contains both, grub and kernel but the config pointing at a wrong path (or the config being in the masked /boot path before GRUB install

Easiest to find out here is if you go into a live system chroot in, mount the partitions like you think they should be and post

mount
ls -l /boot #Maybe post that without the /boot partition mounted and once withit mounted
cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

#3 2021-09-10 16:48:53

Slithery
Administrator

xsimplex wrote:

Since in the installation guide the boot partition is not mounted before the fstab file is generated

Yes, it is...

Installation Guide wrote:

Create any remaining mount points (such as /mnt/efi) using mkdir(1) and mount their corresponding volumes.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-09-10 22:23:58

xsimplex

Ah, thank you both for your replies. You're of course right Slithery, I should've mounted /boot before generating the fstab file... For some reason I missed that.
I think this is what caused the issue, as V1del correctly suspected. I now reinstalled Arch again and followed the instructions more closely and of course it worked this time around.

Board footer