You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-10 17:14:16

jghodd

[SOLVED] firefox 92 - video not working

My system is completely up to date. Firefox 92 is not playing video in any context. I'm not seeing any error messages in the logs or through stderr. FF is my default browser. I'd downgrade, but downgrading won;t let me run with my current profile, and I'm not about to go through the hassle of setting everything up again, so downgrading is not an option.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what might be wrong? I've never had any problem with video in FF before. Also, all available codecs from the extra repository are installed.

Last edited by jghodd (2021-09-24 04:05:22)

#2 2021-09-10 17:21:26

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] firefox 92 - video not working

Is this on vanilla Arch or are you still running Bluestar Linux?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-09-10 17:31:31

jghodd

Bluestar Linux *is* vanilla arch with a pre-configured kde desktop.

#4 2021-09-10 17:32:16

Slithery
Administrator

Forum Rules wrote:

These forums are for Arch Linux x86_64 ONLY.

Not Antegros, or Apricity, or Manjaro, or any of the "easy Arch installers", nor Arch-ARM; nothing other than vanilla 64-bit Arch Linux. Ask those communities for support.
If you have installed Arch, please read the rules before posting. README: Forum Rules.

Closing - For deletion.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2021-09-10 17:32:59

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

We do not support spinoff distributions, please seek support from the Bluestar Linux support channels.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/misc.php?action=rules

Closing, for deletion.

Reopening upon appeal. The mod team accepts that, as the main developer, jghodd is likely to know the specifies of how Bluestar Linux is configured. However, end-users of Bluestar Linux should still look to the Bluestar-specific support channels (i.e. not the Arch Linux support channels) for support -- Bluestar is NOT Arch Linux.

Last edited by WorMzy (2021-09-12 22:27:16)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2021-09-17 17:07:35

kocsv

I'm experiencing the same issue on my arch-system.  Nvidia GTX 1060 with binary drivers, system is up-to-date.
If I start the video (youtube in my case) and then stop pulseaudio with pulseaudio -k, the video starts playing.

#7 2021-09-18 01:18:45

jghodd

@kocsv good catch. just tried the pulseaudio-k solution and it works. i have a radeon hd 8610g using the open source radeon driver. i'm going to take a look at what options are available vis-a-vis firefox, pulse and arch. i know a lot of pieces depend on pulseaudio, so just uninstalling it doesn;t seem to be a viable option.

*and for the record, i don;t run bluestar linux, i'm the distro creator and all of the support. if you don;t want folks who run their own self-installed vanilla arch using mkarchiso and creating sub-distros, then don;t offer mkarchiso, but don't effectively ban them from the forum. given that i've helped resolve a number of issues with both 64-bit and 32-bit arch via this forum and the archlinu32 forum, and have 30 years experience as a software engineer, i am a resource, not a nuisance.

#8 2021-09-18 23:59:50

jghodd

@kocsv ok. so far, i've found that if you stop pulseaudio (systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket ; systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service), firefox plays video all day long, but of course without sound. i was able to restore sound once using 'pulseaudio -v' (after stopping pulseaudio), but for some reason i wasn't able to get that to work again. so, the question comes down to what exactly is broken - pulseaudio or firefox? interestingly, firefox-91 works perfectly as expected. i've been using firefox-developer-edition for testing, so firefox-93 has the same issue as 92. there have been a number of commits to pulseaudio since the v15.0 release at the end of july, but so far i've been unable to build the master branch (the pkgbuild logic re git versioning is breaking while packaging and i haven't unscrambled it yet).

#9 2021-09-19 00:24:42

loqs

jghodd wrote:

so far i've been unable to build the master branch (the pkgbuild logic re git versioning is breaking while packaging and i haven't unscrambled it yet).

What does that mean?  If you are using pulseaudio-git what is the output from makepkg for the package failure?
I needed the changes below as valgrind tcpwrap and doxygen are not in makedepends but that produced a failure in build() rather than package():

diff --git a/PKGBUILD b/PKGBUILD
index 3dcfead..c8547bf 100644
--- a/PKGBUILD
+++ b/PKGBUILD
@@ -11,7 +11,7 @@
 _pkgname="pulseaudio"
 pkgname="$_pkgname-git"
 pkgdesc="A featureful, general-purpose sound server (development version)"
-pkgver=14.0.r271.g1a194c991
+pkgver=15.0.r41.gc94a3a9fb
 pkgrel=1
 arch=("i686" "x86_64" "armv7h")
 url="http://pulseaudio.org/"
@@ -45,7 +45,10 @@ build() {
     -D stream-restore-clear-old-devices=true \
     -D pulsedsp-location='/usr/\$LIB/pulseaudio' \
     -D udevrulesdir=/usr/lib/udev/rules.d \
-    -D elogind=disabled
+    -D elogind=disabled \
+    -D valgrind=disabled \
+    -D tcpwrap=disabled \
+    -D doxygen=false
   ninja -C build
 }

#10 2021-09-19 16:55:34

jghodd

@loqs i started with the pkgbuild from pulseaudio, not pulseaudio-git. my next run at it will use the pulseaudio-git pkgbuild. it was failing on the modules installation to pkg, using the _pick function which was supposed to create a usr/lib/pulse-15.0 directory and _pick wasn't doing that, so the error was file or directory doesn;t exist. its internal logic depends on git versioning info and it didn;t appear to be getting that right since i was git'ing from the master branch, not the 15.0 tag.

i did try an experiment of replacing pulseaudio with pipewire-pulse (pipewire-pulse implements the pulseaudio server protocol), which also worked just fine with FF91, chrome, vlc, etc., but also failed to work with FF92/93. what's most perplexing is that FF is supposed to specifically work with pulseaudio and yet FF92/93 video is just hanging after successfully initiating a session with the pulse server. i'm beginning to believe that the issue is with FF, not pulse. logic dictates that FF92/93 was built against the current release of pulse, not some future release. i'm also going to look at the exit-on-idle time and try extending it some. perhaps there's a performance issue where FF92/93 is expecting the pulse server session not to have exited by the time it needs its services, but that's taking longer than the pulse server expects and it's exiting earlier than FF92/93's next session request. there's really not a whole lot of debugging information available to use to get to the heart of the issue.

#11 2021-09-19 18:10:36

jghodd

@loqs the pulseaudio-git package just builds the latest release - 15.0. what i want to build is the master branch with all the latest commits. i'll go back to trying to figure out the pulseaudio pkgbuild.

#12 2021-09-19 18:14:15

loqs

jghodd wrote:

@loqs the pulseaudio-git package just builds the latest release - 15.0. what i want to build is the master branch with all the latest commits. i'll go back to trying to figure out the pulseaudio pkgbuild.

source=("git+https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio.git"

The source is pointed to the default branch of that repo and as the diff I posted showed it updated to 41 revisions past the 15.0 tag,  which is the latest tag.

#13 2021-09-19 19:13:57

jghodd

@loqs i'll get back to the build soon. meanwhile, here are the pulseaudio server outputs from FF91 and FF93, respectively:

I: [pulseaudio] core.c: All sinks and sources are suspended, vacuuming memory
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Freeing input 0 "Wicked Game (Chris Isaak cover) - YouTube"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Trying to change sample spec
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring volume for sink input sink-input-by-application-name:Firefox.
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring mute state for sink input sink-input-by-application-name:Firefox.
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-util.c: Trying to disable ALSA period wakeups, using timers only
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-util.c: ALSA period wakeups disabled
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Time scheduling watermark is 7.50ms
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Resumed successfully...
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Forcing resampler 'copy', because of fixed, identical sample rates.
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Created input 2 "AudioStream" on alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo with sample spec float32le 2ch 48000Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     media.name = "AudioStream"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.name = "Firefox"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     native-protocol.peer = "UNIX socket client"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     native-protocol.version = "35"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.id = "2330"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.user = "jghodd"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.host = "envy64"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.binary = "firefox"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.language = "en_US.UTF-8"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     window.x11.display = ":0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.machine_id = "a77eb6aff8b74a048d9bf5d5f966b1e1"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.session_id = "2"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.icon_name = "firefox"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     module-stream-restore.id = "sink-input-by-application-name:Firefox"
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Requested tlength=60.00 ms, minreq=15.00 ms
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Final latency 60.00 ms = 15.00 ms + 2*15.00 ms + 15.00 ms
I: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo idle for too long, suspending ...
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...

this FF91 session worked properly. no video issues.

I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Freeing input 1 "Norm Macdonald Makes Jon Stewart Uncomfortable - YouTube"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Trying to change sample spec    
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring volume for sink input sink-input-by-application-name:Firefox Developer Edition.
I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Restoring mute state for sink input sink-input-by-application-name:Firefox Developer Edition.
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-util.c: Trying to disable ALSA period wakeups, using timers only
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-util.c: ALSA period wakeups disabled
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Time scheduling watermark is 7.50ms
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Resumed successfully...
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
I: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Forcing resampler 'copy', because of fixed, identical sample rates.
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Created input 3 "AudioStream" on alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo with sample spec float32le 2ch 48000Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     media.name = "AudioStream"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.name = "Firefox Developer Edition"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     native-protocol.peer = "UNIX socket client"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     native-protocol.version = "35"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.id = "3053"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.user = "jghodd"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.host = "envy64"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.binary = "firefox"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.language = "en_US.UTF-8"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     window.x11.display = ":0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.machine_id = "a77eb6aff8b74a048d9bf5d5f966b1e1"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.process.session_id = "2"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     application.icon_name = "firefox"
I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c:     module-stream-restore.id = "sink-input-by-application-name:Firefox Developer Edition"
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Requested tlength=60.00 ms, minreq=15.00 ms
I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Final latency 60.00 ms = 15.00 ms + 2*15.00 ms + 15.00 ms
I: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo idle for too long, suspending ...
I: [alsa-sink-92HD91BXX Analog] alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...

this FF93 (developer edition, so 92 1/2?) session did not work. the video did not play for even a single second.

what you'll notice is that they're virtually identical except for the video name and the application name. and yet, the FF91 session worked and the FF92/93 session hung in the browser. not so sure that pulseaudio is the problem...

#14 2021-09-19 20:47:29

loqs

Have you considered Mozregression to narrow down what change in firefox caused the issue?

#15 2021-09-19 22:20:11

jghodd

@loqs i have not. hadn't even heard of mozregression before. i will absolutely take a look at it. i suspect that the issue is an FF one.

i was able to do an almost up to date build of pulse after i found that commit 2c7c0f0, or current + 37, removed version number from the module path (in meson.build) which was causing my full pulseaudio builds to fail. so i built and tested up to current+36 commits (735eb05), and got the same result. out of the 5 latest commits not tested, 3 of them were the module path, some gameset support and the localization of a variable. the other 2 don;t look like game-changers. given that pulse is working for everything else on my system, i'm finding it harder to point a finger at pulseaudio. if you can think of any setting i should try, please let me know.

Last edited by jghodd (2021-09-19 22:20:29)

#16 2021-09-20 20:49:30

jghodd

@loqs before diving into mozregression, which i've already installed but for which i haven't yet watched the how-to video, i thought i'd take a quick look at the earliest v92 developer edition (0b2 - 0b1 wasn;t available in the archive). the issue is there already, so that should narrow my regression search window to the very earliest code changes, somewhere between the last v91 release and beta-v2 of v92. of course, i have no idea how many alpha releases there were prior to the first beta release.

Last edited by jghodd (2021-09-20 20:53:13)

#17 2021-09-21 18:10:15

jghodd

narrowed it down even more. the problem exists in FF92-alpha01 (got it from the nightly archive). so basically, whatever this is was introduced into the first iteration of FF92.

#18 2021-09-21 20:06:03

progandy

Have you tried a new profile with sandboxing disabled yet? If that works, maybe something has changed in the syscalls or paths used inside the sandbox.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandb … _variables

(FF92 works for me with and without vaapi and an intel gpu).

Last edited by progandy (2021-09-21 20:07:34)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#19 2021-09-22 11:02:08

Matt3o

I removed pulseaudio altogether and everything seems to be working. The problem is those apps that require pulseaudio (unfortunately I use a few of those) so yeah not a real fix

#20 2021-09-22 18:38:22

jghodd

@progandy the profile i'm using is the default, clean profile from a fresh installation. no extensions, no plugins. sandboxing does not appear to be the issue (i did try the environment variables you suggested to disable sandboxing and there was no difference), since video plays just fine when simply shutting down pulseaudio - although then there is no sound. also, my pulseaudio settings are the default and it works with every other app on my system that requires sound, including firefox-91. i pasted the output from pulseaudio above from both an FF91 and FF92 pulseaudio session and they're identical, so FF92 is correctly requesting a pulse session and the session works as expected when play, then pause are selected even though the FF92 video does not actually play. i understand that FF92 works properly for most people - obviously it works properly for the firefox testers - but some of us are hitting a brick wall with FF92 vis-a-vis video. 2 other users have posted here that they're having the same problem, so it's not my imagination. i'm one of these people who keeps a lot of tabs open in my browser and i have multi-row tabs enabled in firefox + tab suspension installed to facilitate that. no other browser gives me this capability, so switching to another browser just isn't an option. my video hardware doesn;t appear to be an issue since FF92 plays video when pulseaudio is disabled. pulseaudio doesn;t seem to be the problem since i'm seeing identical output from the pulse server from both the working FF91 and the broken FF92. there is my audio hardware but it's working as expected with all other apps, including FF91. at this point i'm at a loss and losing patience. i just don;t have the time to go down this rabbit hole.

#21 2021-09-22 18:42:24

jghodd

@Matt3o thanks for that input, bud. i'm going to see if that works for me, too. i've *disabled* pulseaudio and the video plays without sound, but i haven;t tried removing pulseaudio from my system. i have to assume that without pulseaudio, FF must be accessing ALSA directly if video plays with sound when pulseaudio isn't available (i am assuming you're getting sound from FF92 without pulseaudio installed).

#22 2021-09-22 19:27:03

progandy

I have another farfetched idea: pulseaudio as well as firefox request realtime priotiry through rtkit. Maybe your limit is set so low firefox can't get it after pulseaudio and somehow that causes a hang for you.

Last edited by progandy (2021-09-22 19:27:14)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#23 2021-09-22 23:32:01

jghodd

@progandy not so far-fetched at all. the likelihood that i'm dealing with a timing issue has been in the back of my mind the entire time. just not so sure how to prove it, thus the effort to find a workaround that proves it's a timing issue. i could go to mozilla's bugzilla and report a bug, but the chance that it'll be taken seriously enough to elicit a response is little to none if i can't show some proof either through debug output or a workaround.

#24 2021-09-23 05:50:03

Matt3o

jghodd wrote:

(i am assuming you're getting sound from FF92 without pulseaudio installed).

yeah FF plays audio normally with alsa (just uninstall and reboot, you may then need to play with alsamixer). Actually I started my system without pulseaudio and was very happy with it, I had to install it because of some apps require it.

#25 2021-09-23 08:39:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

What's your output for

pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs
sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*

during this? Firefox has a very weird relationship with pulseaudio for not quite clear reasonings and tries (... and fails) to control way more of the general audio routing logic than it logistically should for what amounts to just being an audio client.

Board footer