You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-29 12:57:10

7thSon

Dell XPS 9500 multiple issues, maybe caused by firmware update

I have a Dell XPS 9500 manufactured on 31-05-2021 which I'm meeting with a bunch of issues today.

Mainly two things:
- The battery is discharging according to XFCE Power Manager, even though the charger is directly plugged into the USB-C charging port (i.e. not via a hub)
  It has never been discharging before, even when connected through a hub, which doesn't feed as much power to the computer.
- One of the USB-C/DP ports seems to have entirely stopped working, there is no DP signal out, and dmesg outputs nothing when connecting usb flash drives etc to it.
  This is also a bit bizarre, I had two monitors connected to the two USB-C/DP ports on the laptop, but now one of them is completely dead, except for that it feeds out power, so it still charges a phone for instance.

My main suspicion, which is not certain, is that I saw an update to linux-firmware come in, the issues seem to have started once rebooting after that update.

How can I troubleshoot this, and possibly revert the firmware update (if that ends up being the culprit)?
What could the causes be for these issues where the hardware suddenly seems to stop working properly?

#2 2021-09-29 15:34:32

7thSon

Re: Dell XPS 9500 multiple issues, maybe caused by firmware update

Now the laptop only starts up into a diagnostic test after the battery ran out due to it not charging for some reason.
I can't get to the UEFI or anything, it's just stuck booting into the test over and over.

Can this be caused by linux-firmware, or is this more likely a hardware failure?

#3 2021-09-29 15:52:25

Psykorgasm

I have no idea, but the linux-firmware update has hosed my install and now it says my gpu is failing tests and I can't even get to a TTY. Machine was fine before.

#4 2021-09-29 15:56:25

7thSon

Psykorgasm wrote:

I have no idea, but the linux-firmware update has hosed my install and now it says my gpu is failing tests and I can't even get to a TTY. Machine was fine before.

When did you experience your problem?

#5 2021-09-29 16:06:13

Psykorgasm

7thSon wrote:
Psykorgasm wrote:

When did you experience your problem?

Same as you have experience: after rebooting from the update. I updated this morning then turned off. Came back a couple of hours ago and ran fine for 20 mins until my system froze writing an email and now cannot seem to access the system. A search of my error on google also suggests linux-firmware issue.

Last edited by Psykorgasm (2021-09-29 16:06:54)

Board footer