You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-03 21:46:31

Silverthorne

Crackling sound/low sound quality on Dell XPS 9710 (i7-11800H)

Hello. As there is no sound at all with the stock 5.14.8, I tried a custom kernel from the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dell_X … _XPS_fixes
as well as 5.15-rc3 and there is a couple of issues anyway:

- the sound is crackling when either start playing the audio content or while changing the volume
- the audio quality is bad (worse than on windows)

What I have tried:

adding a file like

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/01-intel-hda.conf
options snd_hda_intel power_save=0 enable_msi=1

but that did not help. Are there any other workarounds to try?

#2 2021-10-06 11:48:46

wzrdtales

Re: Crackling sound/low sound quality on Dell XPS 9710 (i7-11800H)

that file helps absolutely nothing, you can remove it and it will not change anything.

The thing with the windows sound is: the windows sound is not better, they have an equalizer installed that is applying compression on the sound, which makes it louder but it also has effects on the quality. You can reach the very same by installing pulseeffects on linux and applying bass boosting and compression.

I don't have any crackling so can't relate to that, I had small microphone issues, which got fixed by the discussion here: https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/ … -919171839

You can try to do the same I did which made it magically working for the mic and maybe it fixes issues with your sound as well. So try the following

execute

alsamixer -Dhw:1

play with the rt715 (just move them up and down)

exit and reboot

now execute again

alsamixer -Dhw:1

This procedure for some reason made new rt715 switches appear for me which allowed me to make the mic workable. Not sure if that will help with your sound though. I have no issue whatsoever with the sound though.

And btw. alsamixer is included in alsa-utils I think shouldn't  you have it installed yet.

Last edited by wzrdtales (2021-10-06 12:16:54)

Board footer