You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-17 00:07:07

Acid7711
Website

Programming anyone?

I've dabbled in a LOT of languages over the couple years I've been in school, but really never excelled in any besides VB. I've kicked Windows to the curb many years ago and am getting my coding-itch again.

What would people recommend for someone wanting to get into a real language that's usable under Linux to make stuff? I want to be able to do decent looking gui's without a huge amount of work. Kinda the reason I'm afraid to get further into C++ and such.  For the record, I use KDE. I've looked into the QT programming, it looks very confusing.

Where's a good place to start? Thanks smile

#2 2006-11-17 00:11:49

noriko
Website

Re: Programming anyone?

posting this question in the programming forum would prolly get u more relevant / responses ... however, i think, python/pygtk ... i'm actually kinda ur sit~ as well, but i'm going back to pascal ... might touch on python and D next year ...
u might wanna start searching stuff @wikibooks or @google...

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2006-11-17 00:19:21

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

noriko wrote:

posting this question in the programming forum would prolly get u more relevant / responses ..

yes. Moved.

Another for python/pygtk. A very simple and productive language. Ruby is another favorite -somewhat similar to perl and python, both are scripting languages. If you want a slow suicidal death try java.

#4 2006-11-17 00:25:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Do a search on the idea in this forum, its a common question.

I'm also huge for python, but I'd suggest wxpython over pygtk. Both toolkits are nice though.

Dusty

#5 2006-11-17 00:58:43

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

It depends on what you want to use it for.
If you are targetting linux specifically, then pygtk has a bit win over wxpython. It is closer to the target toolkit, while remaining quite usable. (ie. a similar app build with wxpython and pygtk.. the wxpython version has a much larger memory footprint).

For cross platform, wxpython is the way to go.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2006-11-17 01:46:11

Acid7711
Website

Thanks for the move as well as the ideas. I'll look into python and pygtk.

I looked into it before, but I guess I was wrong in my assumption I wouldn't be able to do much with it.  Yes, I'm interested in solely Linux apps, nothing too major, just something to kill the coding itch and keep me busy.

Again, I could be wrong here, but I think I remember my major turn off for Python was that it was an interpreted language and not compiled. Maybe I'm wrong. Been a while.

No Java for me. I've dabbled in that and I really dislike it. I understand it, the need for it, and why people like/use it, but it's not for me. I avoid Java apps like the plague. big_smile

#7 2006-11-17 02:33:00

vredfreak

Since you're accustomed to VB, you might find Gambas interesting.  It's built on a Basic interpreter and has a fairly clean usable interface.  I've only dabbled a couple of times with it.  This recommendation is based solely on the fact that you are accustomed to VB.

Hi.  I'm a sig.  What are you?

#8 2006-11-17 06:41:23

pauldonnelly

Acid7711 wrote:

Again, I could be wrong here, but I think I remember my major turn off for Python was that it was an interpreted language and not compiled. Maybe I'm wrong. Been a while.

I'm pretty sure you can use it either way. Regardless, it doesn't matter unless you're doing heavy number crunching or complicated simulations.

#9 2006-11-17 09:36:48

iphitus
Forum Fellow

cactus wrote:

It depends on what you want to use it for.
If you are targetting linux specifically, then pygtk has a bit win over wxpython. It is closer to the target toolkit, while remaining quite usable. (ie. a similar app build with wxpython and pygtk.. the wxpython version has a much larger memory footprint).

For cross platform, wxpython is the way to go.

pygtk does crossplatform too, though its not as simple as wxpython.

#10 2006-11-17 13:32:04

oew

Qt might look confusing. But if you have some background in C++, it really isn't that hard. I recommend this book: http://www.phptr.com/bookstore/product. … 72494&rl=1

there's no place like ~/

#11 2006-11-17 17:00:40

sweiss

I'd actually recommend Java. Platform independent, has a good, free, well established IDE (Eclipse), cross platform and pretty good documentation. The standard library is impressive, and if you're not comfortable with the language itself, you can still use its standard library using a different language (Jython for example).

Board footer