You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-08 05:52:13

Fellowish

Unable to setup Electron applications to run under Wayland

I'm currently using GNOME with fractional scaling, so application windows that aren't running under Wayland look fuzzy. I'm trying to mitigate this by configuring my common applications to run on Wayland.

I've read how to run Electron apps natively using Wayland and using those flags to launch apps via my terminal seems to work. However, making the electron-flags.conf file as described in the wiki doesn't appear to have any effect, even after I duplicated the file for each version of Electron I might be running. printenv showed that XDG_CONFIG_HOME was not present, so I added export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/home/fellowish/.config to ~/.bash_profile before making the files.

As a workaround, I've tried modifying the .desktop files of my Electron apps and appending the flags to any lines that contain Exec in them, but this has only worked for code-oss. Google Chrome, for example, seems to only run under Wayland when I launch it through the terminal and is not affected by my .desktop edit.

Another issue I've seen is for any apps where I add --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland, they launch with the titlebar missing and it makes it impossible for me to drag or resize the windows of some apps. I have no clue why that might be happening.

My apologies for no outputs of commands, I'm quite new to this and I'm not sure how to create code blocks yet. I will add outputs at request.

Last edited by Fellowish (2021-10-08 06:07:42)

#2 2021-10-09 17:16:05

Fellowish

Re: Unable to setup Electron applications to run under Wayland

I've come up with a workaround to this issue by switching from Wayland back to X11, making a new mode with a resolution that is higher than my screen's resolution, and then scaling the mode to fit my screen. Most of the applications I use work fine now, and the few that don't scale off the bat do have options to force-scale.

Board footer