You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-09 12:52:38

eric.meehan

I keep deleting my boot loader!

Hello everyone,

I have Arch running on my main machine, and I am trying to create additional Arch installations on USBs from it (these are full installations, not the live installation media).  I followed the installation guide meticulously, but it seems that installing grub on the USB ended up corrupting the grub installation on my main machine!  I had the live medium handy, so this was easy to recover from, but I'm trying to ascertain why it happened.  I want to create a lot of these USB installations, and it would be really tedious to have to reinstall grub every time I do!

I am chrooted in the mount point, and used the following commands:

grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdb
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Unfortunately, I am writing this the day after experiencing the problem, so I do not have the exact output handy, and since recreating it involves deleting my boot loader, my memory will have to suffice.  Grub reported no errors, it discovered three .imgs, osprober did not run, and I received indications of success.  The USB booted successfully as well.

I am doing a BIOS installation from a UEFI machine (the future recipient of this USB is old), but this happened when I accidentally did a UEFI install on the guest as well, so I do not think that is related.

#2 2021-10-09 13:31:23

Ammako

Re: I keep deleting my boot loader!

Board footer