You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-19 09:30:03

chmanie

Very frequent segmentation faults and kernel panics

Hello all!

I am new to Arch and recently installed it on my ThinkPad X1 (gen 9). I am getting very frequent segmentation faults in all browsers (I tested Chromium 94, Firefox 93 and qutebrowser 2.3.1) as well as in nodejs processes (e.g. meteor, webpack). I'm adding a link to some examples down below. The frequency of the crashes is so bad that I have to write this post outside of the browser to be able to finish it. I haven't seen this happening in other kinds of processes but I guess that doesn't mean it can't happen there, too.

I'm also experiencing Kernel Panics (freeze and blinking caps-lock LED) quite often (at least once a day at random times).

I am currently on Kernel 5.14.12 and using wayland with sway. I encrypted my hard drive using this guide (https://gist.github.com/huntrar/e42aee6 … d098c81268) - encrypted partition on nvme-sdd, home and root volumes using LVM and a swapfile.

I have the `intel-ucode` installed:

```
[    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x88, date = 2021-03-31
[    0.906744] microcode: sig=0x806c1, pf=0x80, revision=0x88
[    0.906819] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.
```

SEGFAULTS: https://gist.github.com/chmanie/cc794b7 … c4d2686ab9

For the kernel panics I don't get any more info other than it just hanging (no output to dmesg).

Things I tried already:

- Reinstalling Arch (many times with different configurations - also w/o hd encryption)
- Using `xf86-video-intel` instead of `modesetting`
- Using Xorg and i3 instead of wayland and sway
- Using the LTS Kernel (5.10.74)
- Ran a MemTest86+ test (1 pass) without any errors
- Ran a CPU diagnostic test (Lenovo BIOS internal) - all seems fine
- I saw many interrupts on `/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe6E` so I disabled it

I probably did more but I can't remember right now - please excuse that I might add to this list later.

Is there anything else I can test to debug this more?

Board footer