You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-20 03:27:09

John Path

[SOLVED ]Laptop getting hot

Hello everyone,

My laptop is getting very hot even though i am doing nothing on my laptop (on Arch). I have dual booted Arch and Windows.
The temperature is cool on Windows even when I am using VS code and Edge at the same time.

I really want to use Arch as my main OS, so I would like to know why my laptop is getting hot even when I am just leaving it on for a while.
Also, I feel like my battery also drain a bit faster on Arch (never tested it side by side though).

I am using KDE as my DE on arch.

Thanks to everyone for helping me in advance.

Last edited by John Path (2021-10-21 12:56:12)

#2 2021-10-20 07:10:32

seth

Re: [SOLVED ]Laptop getting hot

Check "powertop". The heat has to come from somewhere and that somewhere must get the energy from somewhere and that somewhere is your battery and powertop will hopefully tell you what sucks on it.
(Likely GPU, CPU or SSD)

Just that you're doing nothing doesn't mean the system isn't (could be KDEs file indexer), so for the CPU check "top" to see what consumes a lot of CPU.

Also

I have dual booted Arch and Windows.

Make sure to check the 3rd link below - the thing heating you your system could actually be the hibernating windows keeping the CPU in performance mode…

#3 2021-10-21 12:55:45

John Path

Re: [SOLVED ]Laptop getting hot

John Path wrote:

Hello everyone,

My laptop is getting very hot even though i am doing nothing on my laptop (on Arch). I have dual booted Arch and Windows.
The temperature is cool on Windows even when I am using VS code and Edge at the same time.

I really want to use Arch as my main OS, so I would like to know why my laptop is getting hot even when I am just leaving it on for a while.
Also, I feel like my battery also drain a bit faster on Arch (never tested it side by side though).

I am using KDE as my DE on arch.

Thanks to everyone for helping me in advance.

Thank you, i found that my nvdia gpu was consuming the battery and also making it hot. I installed optimus manager and turned on hybrid mode and now it's working fine

Board footer