You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-03 07:41:01

c3n21
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 14

Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

Hello,
as the subject I can't connect the external monitor on GNOME's Wayland session with the latest NVIDIA driver release on my laptop.
I've already followed this and this, aka enabling NVIDIA drm in kernel boot parameters and commented out the udev rule concerning Wayland and Nvidia driver

# disable Wayland on Hi1710 chipsets
ATTR{vendor}=="0x19e5", ATTR{device}=="0x1711", RUN+="/usr/lib/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false"
# disable Wayland when using the proprietary nvidia driver
#DRIVER=="nvidia", RUN+="/usr/lib/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable true"
# disable Wayland if modesetting is disabled
IMPORT{cmdline}="nomodeset", RUN+="/usr/lib/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false"

this is my /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules file.

The expected behavior (on Gnome Wayland) is when I plug in the HDMI cord in my laptop to have it extend my two active monitors, whereas the actual behavior is being brought back to GDM and here I can only choose between GNOME and GNOME Classic (so there is no GNOME Wayland for dual monitor for laptop at least).

Thanks in advance for the help smile

EDIT 10/11/2021

Just updated to GNOME 41 and now instead of bringing me back to GDM it allows me to login in Wayland session.
It recognizes the other monitor but even if I choose "Join Displays" it doesn't show anything on the external monitor.

Last edited by c3n21 (2021-11-10 05:40:44)

Offline

#2 2021-11-04 07:36:09

FuzzyAtish
Member
Registered: 2019-03-10
Posts: 2

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

I have the same issue. I have a laptop with an AMD APU and a 2060 dedicated video card. I started using GNOME again recently and yesterday I decided to to try and enable Wayland following the steps outlined here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/howto-use-w … vers/36130
When an external display isn't connected, then everything seems to be working fine, but once one is plugged in, then I get the same behavior as the TS.
I saw that there is a relevant thread on the official Nvidia forums at https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/n … -in/182515, it might be worth it to follow that as well and see if perhaps someone finds a resolution and posts it there

Offline

#3 2021-11-04 07:42:57

c3n21
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 14

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

FuzzyAtish wrote:

I have the same issue. I have a laptop with an AMD APU and a 2060 dedicated video card. I started using GNOME again recently and yesterday I decided to to try and enable Wayland following the steps outlined here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/howto-use-w … vers/36130
When an external display isn't connected, then everything seems to be working fine, but once one is plugged in, then I get the same behavior as the TS.
I saw that there is a relevant thread on the official Nvidia forums at https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/n … -in/182515, it might be worth it to follow that as well and see if perhaps someone finds a resolution and posts it there

I've already followed that thread and it's not working for me at least.

Forgot to mention that my laptop has a i7-8750H and GTX 1050ti

Offline

#4 2021-11-10 05:40:26

c3n21
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 14

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

Just updated to GNOME 41 and now instead of bringing me back to GDM it allows me to login in Wayland session.
It recognizes the other monitor but even if I choose "Join Displays" it doesn't show anything on the external monitor.

Offline

#5 2021-11-10 06:13:05

Morta
Member
Registered: 2019-07-07
Posts: 229

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

Why not use evdi?
Nvidia cards aren’t supported but Amd cards, intel and amd gpu should work.

Offline

#6 2021-11-10 06:55:54

c3n21
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 14

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

Morta wrote:

Why not use evdi?
Nvidia cards aren’t supported but Amd cards, intel and amd gpu should work.

Didn't know evdi had such features but it doesn't suit my use case since my laptop has an nvidia card and would be a waste not using it. On the wiki I also saw that using the iGPU the temperature become really high.

Offline

#7 2021-11-10 12:25:18

Morta
Member
Registered: 2019-07-07
Posts: 229

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

c3n21 wrote:
Morta wrote:

Why not use evdi?
Nvidia cards aren’t supported but Amd cards, intel and amd gpu should work.

Didn't know evdi had such features but it doesn't suit my use case since my laptop has an nvidia card and would be a waste not using it. On the wiki I also saw that using the iGPU the temperature become really high.

Can’t confirm that the temperature increase.
I think the next version will support nvidia because a lot of people open a ticket to this topic.

Offline

#8 2021-11-11 16:07:22

c3n21
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 14

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

Morta wrote:
c3n21 wrote:
Morta wrote:

Why not use evdi?
Nvidia cards aren’t supported but Amd cards, intel and amd gpu should work.

Didn't know evdi had such features but it doesn't suit my use case since my laptop has an nvidia card and would be a waste not using it. On the wiki I also saw that using the iGPU the temperature become really high.

Can’t confirm that the temperature increase.
I think the next version will support nvidia because a lot of people open a ticket to this topic.

Oh I see, that would be great.

However would you tell me why you think the approach using evdi would be better?

Offline

#9 2021-11-11 18:24:51

Morta
Member
Registered: 2019-07-07
Posts: 229

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

c3n21 wrote:
Morta wrote:
c3n21 wrote:

Didn't know evdi had such features but it doesn't suit my use case since my laptop has an nvidia card and would be a waste not using it. On the wiki I also saw that using the iGPU the temperature become really high.

Can’t confirm that the temperature increase.
I think the next version will support nvidia because a lot of people open a ticket to this topic.

Oh I see, that would be great.

However would you tell me why you think the approach using evdi would be better?

I use this and it works flawless but I’m not enough deep to have a opinion what is the better piece of code. Displaylink/evdi is the future.

Last edited by Morta (2021-11-11 18:25:22)

Offline

#10 2021-11-11 19:43:41

c3n21
Member
Registered: 2020-01-25
Posts: 14

Re: Can't connect external monitor on Wayland (GNOME) NVIDIA 495.44-2

Morta wrote:
c3n21 wrote:
Morta wrote:

Can’t confirm that the temperature increase.
I think the next version will support nvidia because a lot of people open a ticket to this topic.

Oh I see, that would be great.

However would you tell me why you think the approach using evdi would be better?

I use this and it works flawless but I’m not enough deep to have a opinion what is the better piece of code. Displaylink/evdi is the future.

But why would you say that? What are its coolest feature?

I've been looking around and there is not much documentation about how to get it to work on Wayland, and I still don't know if it works through HDMI or only using a dock.
Could you indicate me where I could find some resources?
I've already checked out the archwiki and the official API documentation (which didn't help me to set this up).

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB