You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-13 20:10:41

ipyakuza

[SOLVED] sddm and xscreensaver don't work together

I've been running i3gaps and xscreensaver which for a year or so has been running just fine.  Recently I wanted to customize up my arch configuration more and started using a desktop manager sddm (all default configs for now).  SDDM works fine for authenticating but I noticed after it sits idle for a while the screen goes blank (assuming this is sddm's default behavior).  I can move the mouse and it picks right back up where I left off but two things I've noticed.  1) sddm blank screen/timeout doesn't have any kind of password lockout. 2) xscreensaver doesn't work anymore.  I assume SDDM is taking priority.  I used to login to the console then kickoff xorg with startx and the .xinitrc:

/usr/bin/xscreensaver -nosplash &
exec i3

Any thoughts on how to make them play together?  I'm curious if my .xinitrc is even being used anymore since sddm is possibly running as its own display session.

Last edited by ipyakuza (2021-11-14 00:06:03)

#2 2021-11-13 20:31:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] sddm and xscreensaver don't work together

SDDM (most display managers really) does not read an .xinitrc no. Just add the command to your i3 autostart scripts or ~/.xprofile instead.

#3 2021-11-14 00:03:50

ipyakuza

Re: [SOLVED] sddm and xscreensaver don't work together

I see yes sddm does pull in $HOME/.xprofile.  I moved the command into there and it's running now but the screen is blank vs running glmatrix.  I think this is now a video config issue than sddm/xscreensaver issue.  I can tell because I see ps aux | grep xscreensaver is running in the background.  Also when I move the mouse after the screen goes blank it pops up the xscreensaver password window.  Most likely now my issue is somewhere between picom and sddm/xorg.  I run xorg using nvidiaprime.  Thanks for the help!

Board footer