You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-18 05:11:44

lfitzgerald

How to disable all notification sounds?

I use i3 as my main GUI, with KDE also installed "just in case". If I try to quit Kate when I have an unsaved document open, it throws up a dialog asking if I'm sure. It also plays a chord sound. I hate hearing this stupid sound whenever I leave my volume unmuted, but I have no idea where it's coming from. I checked "KDE System Settings -> Sound -> Notification sounds" and those are muted already. I can't think of anywhere else. Doubtless there are probably a few other notifications besides just the file dialog. How can I make sure I disabled all of them?

There is also a terminal bell that occasionally plays when (I think) the terminal is non-responsive. I already have "enable_audio_bell no" in my kitty config but I still hear it occasionally. What other places should I check for terminal sounds?

#2 2021-11-18 14:04:23

imnotpathetic

Re: How to disable all notification sounds?

Just go to KDE settings, and under Hardware>Audio, scroll your notification sounds to zero. I don't know about i3.

#3 2021-11-18 17:30:59

lfitzgerald

imnotpathetic wrote:

Just go to KDE settings, and under Hardware>Audio, scroll your notification sounds to zero.

As I said in the OP, I have already done this, but I still get the notification sounds.

#4 2021-11-18 18:07:42

lfitzgerald

I noticed another place where I get the sound: When Seahorse throws up the GUI dialog asking for my GPG passphrase, if I try to backspace in the field while it is empty, it makes a "boop" sound.

As I recall, Seahorse is GTK not KDE. So could it be that I have also a GTK sound setting which is still active, and Kate for some reason is listening to it?

#5 2021-11-18 18:13:36

imnotpathetic

I checked "KDE System Settings -> Sound -> Notification sounds"

You said Sound>Notification sounds. I am saying Hardware>Audio. There is a section of hardware and under it there is audio. Just search Audio and you will find a option in your start menu. Did you try going into notifications and selecting applications, and then configuring events of Kate?

https://imgur.com/5wGqOQI
https://imgur.com/bwQN0T3

Last edited by imnotpathetic (2021-11-18 18:30:31)

#6 2021-11-18 18:19:13

seth

Since your're using kate on i3 and mention seahorse, are you maybe using the gtk+ platform theme (does it throw the gtk file dialog at you)?

#7 2021-11-18 19:53:19

lfitzgerald

imnotpathetic wrote:

I checked "KDE System Settings -> Sound -> Notification sounds"

You said Sound>Notification sounds. I am saying Hardware>Audio.

Oh I think I see now - I said Sound>Notification sounds, but there's actually no such section in KDE settings. I was thinking of Hardware>Audio, the same one you said (it looks the same for me as in your screenshot, including the "Notification Sounds" bar being at 0%). I just used the wrong name for it in the OP. Sorry about that.

imnotpathetic wrote:

Did you try going into notifications and selecting applications, and then configuring events of Kate?

I have a section KDE System Settings -> Personalization -> Notifications. Most of it is grayed out, because I don't have a notifications service set up yet: https://imgur.com/a/zaqgiKz However, none of it looks related to sounds in any case.

seth wrote:

Since your're using kate on i3 and mention seahorse, are you maybe using the gtk+ platform theme (does it throw the gtk file dialog at you)?

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure kate does not use the gtk dialog. I actually have the line "for_window [window_role="GtkFileChooserDialog"] floating disable" in my i3 config, which makes it put the Gtk file chooser in tiling mode instead of the default (floating). I know that chromium for instance uses gtk file chooser, and it does get tiled by my i3. The Kate dialog doesn't get tiled, so it's a different dialog (presumably KDE's file chooser?).

I checked also xprop:

_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 0
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x0
I3_FLOATING_WINDOW(CARDINAL) = 1
_NET_WM_USER_TIME(CARDINAL) = 23731958
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL
WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x3200006
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = 
_NET_WM_ICON(CARDINAL) = 	Icon (32 x 32):
	(not shown)
	Icon (128 x 128):
	(not shown)

XdndAware(ATOM) = BITMAP
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Save File"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Save File — Kate"
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x3, 0x26, 0x1e, 0x0, 0x0
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
_XEMBED_INFO(_XEMBED_INFO) = 0x0, 0x1
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x3200008
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
		Client accepts input or input focus: True
		window id # of group leader: 0x3200008
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "x1"
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 20633
_NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST_COUNTER(CARDINAL) = 52429064
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "kate", "kate"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS, _NET_WM_PING, _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST, _NET_WM_CONTEXT_HELP
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		user specified location: 782, 296
		user specified size: 1278 by 840
		program specified minimum size: 698 by 390
		program specified resize increment: 2 by 2
		program specified base size: 0 by 0
		window gravity: Static

And xwininfo:

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
          would like information by clicking the
          mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x3200114 "Save File — Kate"

Absolute upper-left X:  787
  Absolute upper-left Y:  296
  Relative upper-left X:  5
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1278
  Height: 840
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x5ae
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x3200005 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +787+296  -815+296  -815-484  +787-484
  -geometry 639x420+787+296

So it seems like this is not a Gtk thing. I could try Gtk settings just in case, though.

Board footer