You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-21 19:48:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Odd new post behavior

So I've tried and failed to figure this out... seems like it's time to ask this in public:

At work (windows) when I hit this page (firefox), the first page view lists all "new posts" with the orange icon, and the "View new posts since last visit" number is correct.  However, it appears that just going to the page "visits" all those links. The instant I click on a subforum, or the "view new posts" link, they're all gone.

I've run through my firefox extensions, but 90% of them are XUL related and shouldn't ever touch the pages themselves.  The greasemonkey scripts I have are mostly google/gmail related.  I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

If anyone knows anything to try, I would love to resolve this issue, but it's difficult as I'm a) at work and b) need to wait for new posts.

Thanks

#2 2006-11-21 21:34:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Odd new post behavior

oh snap. I just thought of something.
Do you have the prefetch thing still enabled? firefox trys to help you by visiting each link in a page..and caching it..because you *might* want to go view that page sometime in the future.
make sure you turn that thing off...

it might be 'visiting' each of those links.. via prefetch.

1.  Type "about:config" the address bar.
   2. Scroll down to the setting "network.prefetch-next" and set the value to "False".

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2006-11-21 21:48:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Nope, prefetch was off for a long time.... I think I fixed it though (at least this visit).
It is related to either the win32 DOM Inspector extension, or Talkback... not sure which, as I disabled both of them.

#4 2006-11-21 22:56:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I spoke too soon... I think the behavior is "less" now, but it's still there

#5 2006-11-22 22:41:21

codemac
Website

what does that mean at all?

#6 2006-11-22 22:57:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

It means that I can see the little "new" icons and have entries in the "new posts" for a few clicks now (3-4) instead of just one.  But posts are still mistakenly marked as read.

Could this be network related?  Can phpbb be dropping my session, or changes some timestamp due to a flakey connection?

#7 2006-11-22 23:16:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

unlikely. Are you going through a web proxy at work phrakture?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2006-11-23 01:59:16

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I have this behavior sometime. Usually, I use the "mark forum read" button  to know what posts I have read and I then restart firefox.  Restarting firefox fixes this. It happens when firefox has been running for a long time.

Board footer