You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-19 18:04:13

rudi
Website

Failed to install kernel

Hi,

I decided to take a dive into Arch, but i can't install a kernel during install.
I've downloaded the Base ISO and choosen a FTP install... only the base packages though.

After download and copying i get an error that the kernel isn't found on the mirror! I've tried a local (Dutch) mirror and various other mirrors from the list, but neither one worked  :?

Then i exited the installer and tried to install the one from the CD-ROM. That also didn't worked and it gave the following error:

config: line 2
protocol local is not supported

uhm.........help?!  :cry:

I'll now try to install the 0.5 base from CD and see if that workes... I''ll hoped to do a clean 0.6 install by FTP.......... not a good start

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!
Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

#2 2004-02-19 18:11:38

terrapin

Re: Failed to install kernel

err...I am wondering if the change from kernel to kernel24 causing you problems.  I think the setup script tries to download 'kernel' which was changed to 'kernel24'.  Try opening /arch/setup in an editor and under the install kernel section find where it tries to download the kernel and change 'kernel' to 'kernel24' (or 'kernel26') if you want the 2.6 version.  Then you will need to change the next line (i think but can't remember) and change the 'kernel' there to the one you downloaded ('kernel24') that should install your kernel.

Sorry but I don't have the /arch/setup script in front of me so I had to guess a little.

#3 2004-02-19 18:13:19

sarah31
Website

hmm sounds like that mirror has not sync with the master sever yet.

you could do a 0.5 base install (ie install via cd) then when you have your net connection working upgrade just the base then add what you want after that. with just a base upgrade you will only have to answer yes to a few replacements (ie coreutils replaces package and iputils i think replace netklit-base, or something like that)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-02-19 18:23:42

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's because of the kernel package name change, like terrapin said.  Judd mentioned this issue and will release new disk images when he has them ready.

Until then, your best bet, assuming you still want to do an ftp install (sarah's suggestion works as well) is terrapin's suggestion.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-02-19 18:25:40

rudi
Website

sarah31 wrote:

hmm sounds like that mirror has not sync with the master sever yet.

you could do a 0.5 base install (ie install via cd) then when you have your net connection working upgrade just the base then add what you want after that. with just a base upgrade you will only have to answer yes to a few replacements (ie coreutils replaces package and iputils i think replace netklit-base, or something like that)

I just did a 0.5 base install and the system is running right now. (now get the network running  :shock: ) I've also choosen the official Arch FTP server i guess (the top one from the list). There also was the same error.

Hope I'll get the network running, i've read some posts about that issue and i'll keep my fingers crossed  wink
IF (yea if) i get the network running and update the lot with pacman everything is right..right?!

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!

#6 2004-02-19 18:37:35

sarah31
Website

once you have your network connection running:

pacman -Sy pacman
pacman -Syu
(accept the replacements)
pacman -S <whateverpackage you want>

general info:

pacman -Ss <pkgname> can be used for searching for a package in the database

pacman -Syu    - syncs with the main sever and upgrades everything that needs upgrading (and dependencies if necessary

ALWAYS keep your eyes to the news on the mailn web page for instances of messy/big upgrades. for example upgrading to the kernel26 package requires a few steps beside just pacman'ing the package.

it is really vital you  take the time to learn all the options pacman provides. it is a light but very robust manager.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-02-19 18:46:37

rudi
Website

Well, i was affraid this whould happen... i can't get the network running. I know there are numorous posts on this issue, perhaps someone can write a mini how-to or a sticky post.
If i run lsmod only vtc is listed (whatever that is).
If i run modprobe ne2k-pci.o i get an error "can't locate module". I've browsed system a bit and i can't seen to locate in in the modules folder.

Could someone guide me through this, or post a link to another post where this issue is explained?

I really appriciate this fast support!!!!

#8 2004-02-19 19:33:58

rudi
Website

:shock: holy dog doodie...

I've located the ne2k-pci.o module in /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/net

and if i execute modprobe ne2k-pci.o from there but the system still says he can't locate that module. I've tried to execute insmod ne2k-pci.o from there and get the following message:

ne2k-pci.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt_Rsmp_b93d8fa4
ne2k-pci.o: unresolved symbol ei_open_Rsmp_55729366
ne2k-pci.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init ....blabla-and-so-on

Could someone explain this to me please?

#9 2004-02-19 20:18:00

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Try modprobe ne2k-pci.  Without the .o.  Modprobe doesn't need that.

The difference between modprobe and insmod is that modprobe loads dependencies as well.  It seems that ne2k-pci needs another module to be loaded first.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#10 2004-02-19 20:38:32

rudi
Website

Thanx Xentac!

That did the job! I've removed the ".o" from the config files and it works on reboot big_smile

Now on to upgrading.

p.s. i've also tried what terrapin said about editing setup to kernel26 but after donwloading and copying when i want to edit the config files they're all empty

*edit*
I have one remark: during this trial and error i've downloaded the base a couple of times, and onetime i got an corrupted package. I could not get the installer to download it again so i needed to start the whole thing over again
/*edit*

Board footer