You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-26 16:26:38

christooss

[Solved] (Re)Installing Xerox printer from USB to WiFi

I have a Xerox Phaser 3020 laser printer that I have set up with CUPS through USB port. But I would like to change that to connect the printer to my network. The printer has Wi-Fi capabilities.

I know I can do it in Windows OS but is there any way to change that within Linux?

Last edited by christooss (2021-11-30 11:06:02)

#2 2021-11-26 17:14:36

progandy

Re: [Solved] (Re)Installing Xerox printer from USB to WiFi

If the printer is already connected to the wifi network, then you should be able to do that with e.g. the cups web ui, system-config-printer or lpadmin.
If the printer has no display, maybe the driver comes with a setup utiility for wireless you can use.
Edit: According to the manual there should also be a WPS button you can press for 10 seconds to print wifi information. Then connect to the printer and probably use the web ui to configure it for your network.
Or this: https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/art … 25303.html

Last edited by progandy (2021-11-26 17:26:49)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2021-11-26 23:59:03

christooss

Printer is not connected to the Wifi. There is no Wifi I could connect to, that is coming from the printer itself. Drivers that are provided by Xerox AFAIK don't have the utility for setting up the printer from USB "mode" to WIFI.

CUPS sees my other printer, that is correctly connected to wifi (I could set it up through web interface that I could go in through printer's own wifi) but Xerox doesn't have these options.

While I know how to solve this problem with installing Windows as dual boot or through VM I was wondering if there is any other tool available for Linux that bypasses installing windows. I will try running Xerox tools through Wine to see if I can set it up properly.

#4 2021-11-27 07:16:28

progandy

I think this printer should also support AirPrint. In that case, maybe you can try ipp-usb to create a network connection to the printer over usb and use its web interface.

Have you tried the option to print the wifi settings with a long press of the wps button, though?

Last edited by progandy (2021-11-27 07:19:21)

#5 2021-11-28 16:11:41

christooss

I tried it, but it's registered to a Wi-Fi I don't have, because the printer is a hand-me-down. I'll try ipp-usb if I can find any documentation I can understand hmm

#6 2021-11-28 16:34:47

progandy

christooss wrote:

I tried it, but it's registered to a Wi-Fi I don't have, because the printer is a hand-me-down.

Another option: take the wifi settings and use them to create an AP on your computer. (e.g. with linux-wifi-hotspot)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Software_access_point

I'll try ipp-usb if I can find any documentation I can understand hmm

It should be as simple installing ipp-usb, starting the service, connecting the printer and then looking in /var/log/ipp-usb/ or /var/ipp-usb/dev/ for the printer I think. Find out the port and connect to it in your browser. (localhost:$PORT)
Otherwise also set up avahi zeroconf, then e.g. avahi-discover should show the printer and its port.

#7 2021-11-28 17:05:23

ewaller
Administrator

https://download.support.xerox.com/pub/ … 0_UG_B.pdf
Page 26.

It has a web interface.  User: admin   Password: 1111

It looks like if you hold the WPS function for 15 sec.  Try pressing that, then activate the WPS on your router (depending on router, press a button, or use a web interface, whatever).

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2021-11-30 11:05:44

christooss

Unfortunately, I have no WPS on my router. And ipp-usb just "notices" the plugin in of the printer but doesn't make a "network device" I can connect to.

For now, I solved this with installing Windows 10 into Virtualbox and setup the printer from there.

Thanks for the help. I'll have to look around how to correctly use ipp-usb for future use, cause that is a tool I wasn't even aware till now.

Board footer