You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-26 22:14:48

papavlos

[SOLVED] foobar2000 crashes with wine newer than 6.20

I'm running foobar2000 1.6.8. The last wine version under which fb2k runs without crashing is 6.20-1. With every newer version fb2k crashes unexpectedly after unpredictable time. I'm using Plasma DE on X11, no Wayland (have incompatible nVidia card).
When running fb2k from command line - command prompt returns in shell without any error messages after crashes ...

Special situation when it crashes in less then 20 seconds is adding new library path to monitor - crashes after initialization when it starts scanning files and folders inside the added library path. The added library already contains some audio files.

Repeated following checks:

1. Created new fresh prefixes, both 32 and 64-bit, installed pure foobar, no extra components - same problems when scanning added music library

2. Created VirtualBox machine, using archinstall script with its defaults and Plasma DE selected. Then added current wine 6.22-1, created 32 and 64-bit prefixes, installed fb2k 1.6.8 within - same crashing problem. After downgrading wine version-by-version - the crash remains. When reaching wine 6.20-1 - no crash.

3. Created VB virtual machine, installed Arch-based Manjaro with Plasma - same behaviour as in pure Arch

4. Created VB virtual machine with independent distro Solus with Plasma - no problem at all with the latest wine

5. Created VB virtual machine with MX Linux MX-21_x64 “ahs” KDE - no problem at all with the latest wine

From the above I deduce it may be wine problem introduced by Arch distro package maintainers, inherited also by Manjaro team.

My host computer runs pure Arch since 2017, regularly updating it.

Am I really alone here having this problem? Can't find any traces in Forum or Bugs...

Last edited by papavlos (2021-11-27 15:43:59)

#2 2021-11-26 23:42:58

dakota

Re: [SOLVED] foobar2000 crashes with wine newer than 6.20

Don't know that I can help much, except that I am running a fairly fresh install of arch with wine 6.22-1 and it is working. Right now, arch ver 5.15.5, but it was also working under 5.15.4. I'm also running x11, but without a DE. Only  fluxbox as a windows manager.

I did have a problem with my library paths (to an external samba share), but that was resolved when I deleted all the paths and recreated them. (The problem I had, however, showed "error" in the library for my external drive. Paths to my local drive continued to work and Foobar2000 did not crash.)

Also, I am not running Foobar2000 from the AUR. Since I am running wine, I just downloaded the foobar2000_v1.6.8.exe from the Foobar website and installed it directly with wine.

Oh yea, and I also installed (in arch) the 32-bit binaries for alsa: lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-libpulse lib32-openal.

$ uname -a
Linux daphne 5.15.5-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu, 25 Nov 2021 22:09:33 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linu

$ pacman -Qi wine
Name            : wine
Version         : 6.22-1
Description     : A compatibility layer for running Windows programs
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://www.winehq.com
Licenses        : LGPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : fontconfig  lib32-fontconfig  lcms2  lib32-lcms2  libxml2
                  lib32-libxml2  libxcursor  lib32-libxcursor  libxrandr
                  lib32-libxrandr  libxdamage  lib32-libxdamage  libxi
                  lib32-libxi  gettext  lib32-gettext  freetype2
                  lib32-freetype2  glu  lib32-glu  libsm  lib32-libsm  gcc-libs
                  lib32-gcc-libs  libpcap  lib32-libpcap  faudio  lib32-faudio
                  desktop-file-utils
Optional Deps   : giflib [installed]
                  lib32-giflib
                  libpng [installed]
                  lib32-libpng [installed]
                  libldap [installed]
                  lib32-libldap [installed]
                  gnutls [installed]
                  lib32-gnutls
                  mpg123 [installed]
                  lib32-mpg123
                  openal [installed]
                  lib32-openal [installed]
                  v4l-utils [installed]
                  lib32-v4l-utils
                  libpulse [installed]
                  lib32-libpulse [installed]
                  alsa-plugins [installed]
                  lib32-alsa-plugins [installed]
                  alsa-lib [installed]
                  lib32-alsa-lib [installed]
                  libjpeg-turbo [installed]
                  lib32-libjpeg-turbo [installed]
                  libxcomposite [installed]
                  lib32-libxcomposite
                  libxinerama [installed]
                  lib32-libxinerama
                  opencl-icd-loader
                  lib32-opencl-icd-loader
                  libxslt [installed]
                  lib32-libxslt
                  gst-plugins-base-libs [installed]
                  lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs
                  vkd3d
                  lib32-vkd3d
                  sdl2 [installed]
                  lib32-sdl2 [installed]
                  libgphoto2 [installed]
                  sane [installed]
                  gsm [installed]
                  cups
                  samba
                  dosbox
Required By     : wine-mono
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 479.50 MiB
Packager        : Felix Yan <felixonmars@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Sun 21 Nov 2021 06:52:22 PM PST
Install Date    : Mon 22 Nov 2021 09:07:58 PM PST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

Foobar = foobar2000_v1.6.8.exe

[Edit - maybe a plasma issue?]

Cheers,
dakota

Last edited by dakota (2021-11-27 00:35:13)

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb

#3 2021-11-27 15:43:12

papavlos

@dakota,
Thanks a lot for your post. Actually you have inspired me to perform some additional investigations. Which have appeared to pin the problem and release my pain. Thanks a lot!
I didn't even know there is a foobar2000 package in AUR - of course I am installing it on my own under wine running the .exe installation.

First, I have reviewed carefully my output of "pacman -Qi wine" command and compared with yours - I have been missing some of lib32-* libraries. I have installed them.  Important due to the fact that fb2k is still only a 32-bit application.

Second, I have paid more attention to fb2k error messages below the list of library folders. And I have discovered a few of my music files to be corrupted or with bad cue files. So I have fixed all of reported files.

Third, I have upgraded wine and wine-mono to the latest versions. Starting foobar2000 was OK. Then, I have removed library folder and added it again, this time using different path (my library resides on a samba controlled network share, so I was able to mount it alternatively). Started scanning the newly attached library. Scanning, scanning... Foobar remains alive! Good!... The whole library has been properly scanned. No errors reported. Fantastic! I have also performed some other activities like tagging or converting formats. Of course foobar does everything.

As the diagnose of my case: it must have been a problem for foobar to properly manage corrupted audio files under wine and Arch Linux with missing some of additional 32-bit libraries - I didn't have similar issues with foobar running on another Windows7 or another Linux distro (Arch-independent) machines.

It seems my case is solved and I am (again) on rails, with my Arch machine being up-to-date.

#4 2021-11-27 18:05:02

dakota

Good news. Glad I could help. smile

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb

#5 2021-11-30 18:22:38

karowa

Got the similar problem after update. When starting fb2k it crashes after ~2 seconds. I could still start some song, and hear ~ 1 second of music.

Just some information if others having similar issue.

What helped me: restart foobar2000 in safe mode. Without displaying library in album list it doesn't crash. My library is local path, but in reality is mapped from nas over ssh.
Only installing 32-bit libraries didn't help, maybe I missed some optional one. Can't remove the library, as it crashes too fast. Maybe I try later cleaning up config files. I have 10 open tabs, so could survive for a while (and maybe wait for wine fix).
I'm using xfce4 if it matters.

Board footer