You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-19 19:43:01

afu

Orinoco driver [FXx]

If I remember correctly, in order to use Kismet with a orinoco wireless card, the orinoco driver needed to be patched. Anyone know if the orinoco driver is patched in the Arch package?

New to Arch an impressed enough that I will start moving my boxes over sometime soon. Great job to all the folks on the project.

#2 2004-02-19 20:20:14

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Orinoco driver [FXx]

I bet the orinoco driver is not patched.  It's a vanilla kernel.

Have you tried it without patching?  Maybe you have old information.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-02-19 21:04:16

afu

Guess I will find out for sure when I get arch onto my laptop. Don't think Kismet worked with the last version of Slackware I loaded, or maybe it was a prior version. Can't remember.

Here's a link I found: http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html

Seems like the last version of knoppix I tried worked so it might not be an issue anymore.

Thanks.
-Shawn

#4 2005-02-10 12:50:51

kleptophobiac

I think the latest kernels use the monitor mode capable drivers out of the box. I haven't needed to patch with most of the newer 2.6 series of kernels.

#5 2005-02-11 03:32:09

GT

I had to patch mine with 2.6.10. vanilla.

#6 2006-06-12 10:29:34

lanrat

None of the orinoco drivers (including the newest original drivers that don't need patching) with monitor mode enabled compiles fine with the latest gcc and kernel except this one. This is a standalone driver - you don't need to recompile the kernel only the driver and switch a few .ko files (don't delete the old ones - make a backup). I used this driver with the latest kernel26 and kernel26beyond.

I tried it last friday (after a looooooong search for a solution - thanks to gljimbo for his post on the kismet forums) with avaya silver card (pcmcia + orinoco-cs in a laptop).

Kismet, wifiscanner and swscanner seem to work fine with it and aircrack too (not fully tested though) but I had problems with aircrack-ng and some other apps. Watch out your /var/log and dmesg - some program made 3GB of logs while trying to access the card but I don't know which one. For now it works ok and I had no other problems with it. There were too many changes in latest kernels and I hope they'll fix it soon to work with the official driver.

This orinoco driver seems to be version 0.13 patched for latest kernels (while the one included in the kernel package is IIRC 0.15 - check your dmesg to confirm).

I also tried to run this card with a different driver (hostap-cs) since it's based on prism2 chip but with no success so far. I can disable orinoco-cs loading automatically and replace it with different module  but I can't force hostap-cs to bind to the wireless device. I have some ideas on my checklist but I already spend at least 20 hours making it work :-). Maybe I'll try wlanng/wlanng_avs drivers - they are for standard prism2 based cards too. AFAIK none of the modules have any parameters that would allow it to bind to the card on loading and I have to try echoing device name (from udev's devpath) to /proc/.../bind. I still have to figure out a proper command but the problem is this mechanism is depreciated and may not work in latest or future kernels. We'll see...

Board footer