You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-02 14:41:53

banfastfood

Failing to connect to the internet while installing Arch on XPS 8940

Hi there,
I bought an XPS 8940 a year ago with Windows 10 pre-installed (purchased solely for gaming). I now have to work from home so I want to install Arch Linux on it. I wiped the windows and got to the Pacstrap bit of the installation and realised that the computer is not connected to the internet although the Ethernet cable is plugged in and was working normally with windows. I have read all forums related to this issue and failed to find any solutions. I contacted Dell and they said they don't offer technical support for Linux. I tried my work SSD (which already has Arch installed) on this XPS and it loads normally, Ethernet shows connected but any ping attempt or using internet browser fails and shows no connection to the web. I am starting to think this could be a BIOS problem as Dell have manufactured the computer to work only with Windows but I have tried changing the settings many times following some advice for Ubuntu users but all was a dead end sad

Sorry for this long post but I would very appreciate any help if anyone has had a similar problem!

Thanks,
Ali

#2 2021-12-02 19:43:08

dakota

Re: Failing to connect to the internet while installing Arch on XPS 8940

Have you checked the connection?

Please post the output of

ip a

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb

#3 2022-05-03 10:08:49

banfastfood

Re: Failing to connect to the internet while installing Arch on XPS 8940

[Solved] I am sorry, I have only just seen your response. The problem was actually with the connection itself rather my computer. I had to request a certificate from the internet provider (Eduroam) which is linked to the mac address of my computer.

Last edited by banfastfood (2022-05-03 10:11:36)

Board footer