You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-24 11:44:37

braincenter
Website

Centering Open Box Windows under Gnome

I recently switched over to running Openbox (replacing Metacity) as the default window manager for Gnome.

I like the simplicity and speed which Openbox exhibits. The only problem that I have is all windows open at the top left corner of the screen which is a minor annoyance.

How do I set up Openbox so that all of my windows are centered like they are under Metacity?

#2 2006-11-24 13:21:21

Kenetixx
Website

Re: Centering Open Box Windows under Gnome

Cant you change window placement in Obconf?
I will have to check when i get home from work

http://binaryritual.net

There is no spoon.......

#3 2006-12-10 21:13:13

hugin

yeah, I haven't found a way to do it yet, so I've switched back to using sawfish.  (! FTW LISP)  ^^.  I wish OB3's documentation was more up to date, and more extensive.

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

#4 2006-12-11 10:27:59

onearm
Website

Shouldn't this option resolve the problem (at least you can somewhat choose where to open any window)?

th_32864_obconf01_122_438lo.jpg

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#5 2006-12-11 16:20:13

hugin

onearm wrote:

Shouldn't this option resolve the problem (at least you can somewhat choose where to open any window)?

That would require you to always have the mouse pointer in the center of the window, and if I recall correctly, that puts the titlebar under the mouse cursor.  which is harder to "predict" the center.

I think it might be impossible, without the use of a separate program, like devilspie.  It's script files are in lisp, which isn't as hard as it seems, so don't get scared off by that.  Or you could switch to sawfish, which is the inspiration for devilspie and you can infinitly tweak the way a window is displayed. 

Devil's pie was written for metacity, so I'm not 100% sure if it will work in openbox, hadn't tried it.  I'm comfortable with sawfish so I made the switch back.

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

#6 2006-12-12 08:56:36

onearm
Website

hugin wrote:

Devil's pie was written for metacity, so I'm not 100% sure if it will work in openbox, hadn't tried it. 
/swogs

It works, I use it to move the rox-filer windows at boot time. And, btw, for controlling the behaviour of windows there is also wmctrl, which is also in AUR

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

Board footer