You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-16 17:49:10

alba4k
Website

[SOLVED] Setting up an HP printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 Series), wifi

I heard that HP printers, even though theoretically supported on windows, have basically always been an "adventure" to set up on Linux
And I am indeed noticing this, since I'm trying to get my printer (OfficeJet Pro 9010) to work...
The official set up app seems to work, but the printer doesnt show up anywhere after the set up, not even in the hp app...
Here is the result of the setup, when done launching the app from terminal:

hp-setup
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.10)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)
dict[m] {'align-type': 15, 'clean-type': 1, 'color-cal-type': 0, 'copy-type': 0, 'embedded-server-type': 1, 'fax-type': 6, 'fw-download': False, 'icon': 'hp_deskjet_f4200.png', 'io-mfp-mode': 1, 'io-mode': 1, 'io-support': 14, 'job-storage': 0, 'linefeed-cal-type': 0, 'model1': 'HP OfficeJet Pro All-in-One 9010', 'monitor-type': 0, 'panel-check-type': 0, 'pcard-type': 0, 'plugin': 0, 'plugin-reason': 0, 'power-settings': 0, 'pq-diag-type': 0, 'r-type': 0, 'scan-src': 3, 'scan-type': 7, 'status-battery-check': 0, 'status-dynamic-counters': 0, 'status-type': 10, 'support-released': True, 'support-subtype': 2202411, 'support-type': 2, 'support-ver': '3.19.3', 'tech-class': ['SPDOfficejetProAsize'], 'family-class': ['SPDOfficejetProAsize'], 'tech-subclass': ['Normal'], 'tech-type': 2, 'usb-pid': 9300, 'usb-vid': 1008, 'wifi-config': 3}

Done.

What I see when trying to set it up:

The exact same happens when trying as root:

sudo hp-setup

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)
dict[m] {'align-type': 15, 'clean-type': 1, 'color-cal-type': 0, 'copy-type': 0, 'embedded-server-type': 1, 'fax-type': 6, 'fw-download': False, 'icon': 'hp_deskjet_f4200.png', 'io-mfp-mode': 1, 'io-mode': 1, 'io-support': 14, 'job-storage': 0, 'linefeed-cal-type': 0, 'model1': 'HP OfficeJet Pro All-in-One 9010', 'monitor-type': 0, 'panel-check-type': 0, 'pcard-type': 0, 'plugin': 0, 'plugin-reason': 0, 'power-settings': 0, 'pq-diag-type': 0, 'r-type': 0, 'scan-src': 3, 'scan-type': 7, 'status-battery-check': 0, 'status-dynamic-counters': 0, 'status-type': 10, 'support-released': True, 'support-subtype': 2202411, 'support-type': 2, 'support-ver': '3.19.3', 'tech-class': ['SPDOfficejetProAsize'], 'family-class': ['SPDOfficejetProAsize'], 'tech-subclass': ['Normal'], 'tech-type': 2, 'usb-pid': 9300, 'usb-vid': 1008, 'wifi-config': 3}

Done.

Just with a weird old-looking light mode interface, when ran using sudo (screenshot for reference)

(All screenshots make the various windows look darker than what they are in the screenshots, since I've set them to be slightly transparent and they are on a dark background)

And obviously, the printer doesnt show up anywhere (When trying to print something from firefox,Printing from OnlyOffice).

Don't mind asking for extra information, if it can be useful,
thanks in advance!

Last edited by alba4k (2021-12-19 19:29:35)

#2 2021-12-16 22:52:16

MountainX

Re: [SOLVED] Setting up an HP printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 Series), wifi

Have you installed Arch Linux - hplip 1:3.21.10-2 (x86_64)?

Installing HP printers on Arch has always worked well for me, but I have not had to install any new printers for a couple years. Currently I have a few different HP printers installed, but they are all connected by wired ethernet.

EDIT 1: The last time I installed an HP printer (2019) I installed hplip and I used :

sudo hp-setup -i

EDIT 2: this is one of the references that initially helped me: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … 629#392629

It says:

In order for a GTK application like Evince to show your printer in the printing dialog, you need to install gtk3-print-backends as well.

Not sure if that is still the case, however. EDIT 3: Apparently that package has been merged into gtk:

FS#56445 : [gtk3-print-backends] Merge into gtk3

Last edited by MountainX (2021-12-16 23:12:02)

#3 2021-12-17 06:47:35

Breizh29

It is not only with HP printers that you can have installation problems on Arch. I have a Brother printer apparently sold only in Asia and in this case not possible to find a driver for my printer in AUR. And as Brother only provides .deb (debian) and .rpm (redhat, fedora, ...) utilities, we are a little blocked unless you are able to generate the driver for arch, but it is not for everyone's reach.

But there is a solution: Any wifi / network printer (or nearly so) does not need to have a driver installed on the client side.
And I managed to get my printer to work with a wireless and USB connection.
You can have a look here : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=270783

#4 2021-12-17 13:55:17

alba4k
Website

using the i argument doesnt seem to help much

sudo hp-setup -i

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                  
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                                
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
  2         par         Parallel Port (LPT:)                                      

Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

Setting up device: hp:/net/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_9010_series?ip=192.168.68.101

---------------------
| PRINT QUEUE SETUP |
---------------------

Please enter a name for this print queue (m=use model name:'HP_OfficeJet_Pro_9010'*, q=quit) ?m
Using queue name: HP_OfficeJet_Pro_9010
Locating PPD file... Please wait.
error: No PPD found for model officejet_pro_9010 using old algorithm.
error: Unable to find an appropriate PPD file.

Would you like to specify the path to the correct PPD file to use (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ? q

also, yes, gtk3 and hplip are both installed

#5 2021-12-17 14:23:57

progandy

Is cups running?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#6 2021-12-19 19:27:38

alba4k
Website

Didnt have cups installed, such a noob

It's now fixed, thank you