You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-01 22:40:59

justdanyul

Z690 chipset issues?

Hey all,

I just finished my new alderlake build, and I'm having a tad of bother getting Linux on it. I'm fairly sure the hardware is fine, as I'm writing this from the machine (i always install windows first in dual boot scenarios), but, the latest Arch liveUSB seems to have some troubles with the hardware.

Specifically, after doing pacstrap and doing the chroot, i hit trouble. I can see the filesystem, and I can move around a bit, but...within a few minutes, regardless of what im doing, I get hit by a series of  blk_update_request: I/O errors on the NVME drive carrying the partitions.

I've tried running smartctl -a against the drive and the healtcheck passes and verything comes back fine.It feels like a driver problem?

Have anybody had any success getting Arch up and running on Z690 hardware as of yet?

UPDATE:

I verified the disk isn't the problem, done numerous of tests and SMART diagnostics under Windows, everything is healthy. I also bencmarked the heckout of it (which exercised it with rather large payloads). Everything is good. Well, except the fact I will have to, for the first time in litterally almost two decades, have to use windows as my daily driver **insert dramatic music here** (atleast I can put Arch in wsl haha)

UPDATE 2:
I tried updating to latest firmware. Not much progress.It stills works for a bit, and then I get hammered by a series of blk_update_request errors followed by a "Buffer I/O error on dev nvme0n1, logical block 0, lost async page write" error. I found online that some people are passing "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500" to their kernel, which i tried but it didn't resolve the issue for me

UPDATE 3:
Its starting to look like WD Blacks aren't well supported under Linux. It seems a bit touch an go where they work and where they dont, but I found a ton of forums posts with people on Fedora, Ubuntu etc. having issues with them. In short, WD BLACK SN850 doesn't seem to play with kernel 5.15.12 at all. Atleast on my system, with newest firmware and newest BIOS.

Last edited by justdanyul (2022-01-02 15:11:57)

#2 2022-01-02 15:09:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Z690 chipset issues?

What drive exactly? You might have some success by disabling power saving by setting that parameter you've found to 0 instead of 5500

Last edited by V1del (2022-01-02 15:10:15)

#3 2022-01-02 15:20:46

justdanyul

V1del wrote:

What drive exactly? You might have some success by disabling power saving by setting that parameter you've found to 0 instead of 5500

Its a WD BLACK SN850, unfortunately, I tried. I attempted with 5500, 200 and 0. All to the same result. Eventually, after a few minutes of use, the drive has a fit and everything locks up.

Last edited by justdanyul (2022-01-02 15:21:09)

#4 2022-01-15 23:35:15

justdanyul

Just wanted to give an update here. It does seem like there are issues with the WD BLACK SN850 1TB drive under Linux. In short, I tried taking the NVME out, installing it in the PS5, its works swimmingly, no system instabilities etc (similar to my testing under Windows). But it was unstable to the point of being unusable under Linux. Adding the kernel parameter

pci=noaer

seemed to help a little bit. But, still I'd have a crash every hour or so.

I replaced it with a Samsung 980 PRO , which has similar speeds, and well, all the issues are gone, dont need any kernel parameters, it "just works".

Last edited by justdanyul (2022-01-15 23:35:27)

Board footer