You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-26 00:52:50

harlekin

glx crashes system [solved]

Hello.
I've got a weired problem for a long time but it didn't really bother me until now:
The problem is that whenever I try to execute an application that uses glx, my monitor wents black, my mouse and keyboard are disabled and my sound loops infinitely. I don't even know if it is glx related but I noticed it running this applications:
glxgears (system dies just before it's finished)
gltron (crashes when I try to start a game)

I am using nvidia 1.0.9629 as drivers for my gpu and my xorg.conf looks like this:
grep -v ^# xorg.conf

Thanks for any hint. (:

Hail to the thief!

#2 2006-11-26 01:30:01

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: glx crashes system [solved]

Try changing the "Module" section to look like this:

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection
    Load        "freetype"
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode         0660
EndSection

Note the 'Load "dri"' after glx - see if those two changes help.

#3 2006-11-26 13:43:35

harlekin

Thanks you. This works for me. (:

edit: No, sorry. I made the changes you said and tried to play gltron. Worked fine for a few seconds and then I closed it and wrote this post.
But if I play it again it will cause the same trouble I mentioned in my first post. But not when I start the game but a few seconds later. ):

Any further suggestions?

Hail to the thief!

#4 2006-11-26 15:33:52

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

You did quit and restart X first, right?  What's your output from

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

?  Paste it here: http://pastebin.archlinux.org

#5 2006-11-26 15:38:00

harlekin

Yes, I restarted my X-Server.

Heres the requested output: Output

Hail to the thief!

#6 2006-11-27 01:19:48

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

hm - don't see anything wrong with that output... are there any EE or WW lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

#7 2006-11-27 11:17:44

harlekin

No, even the log looks nearly perfectly clear. :

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

Current Operating System: Linux zimmer 2.6.18-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 19 09:14:35 CET 2006 i686
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi".
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi".
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)

):

I can expand the list of games that kill my system:
lemming ball z.

Funny thing is that games with wine work better than linux native games.
Counterstrike Source is playable, only kills my xserver with an inifinite loop when closing. :

Thank you for your efford.
And thanks for any other hints!

May my gpu be broken?

Hail to the thief!

#8 2006-11-27 11:30:20

Zoranthus

Not really a hint, but I'd try a different Nvidia driver, maybe 1.0-7184 and see if the problem persists. If it does, maybe GL O.B.S can help you to figure our where exactly the problem is. If not, you could just stick with it or try 9626 if you like to have the native XGL support.

#9 2006-11-27 13:00:32

harlekin

Thanks Zoranthus.
I tried nvidia drivers from extra, unstable and testing (which are the same oO) and nvidia-beta drivers. But none of them worked. I tested with gltron and every time got the same error described in my first post.

GL O.B.S. does not work for me. I downloaded it, ran scons to compile it (which worked out fine). Then started to program. But clicking on the Execute-Button does simply nothing. Not even an error in stdout. :

Thanks anyway.

Btw. I am using nvidia drivers from extra right now again.

Remaining clueless.
harlekin

Hail to the thief!

#10 2006-11-28 09:41:57

Zoranthus

You could also try 3DMark with WINE (at least 2001 seems to work: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4544). If it crashes at a certain test maybe you get a better idea of where to look :?

#11 2006-11-28 21:52:02

funkyou
Website

For my knowledge, there is no dri needed for nvidia-drivers...

Here is my xorg.conf for a FX5200 / 8776 driver (also works with 9626, 9629), maybe it helps somehow...

http://pastebin.archlinux.org/182

You can also play a bit around with the AGP Settings in the device section of your xorg.conf...

Option "NvAGP" "integer"

Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:Value    Behavior
0    disable AGP
1    use NVIDIA's internal AGP support, if possible
2    use AGPGART, if possible
3    use any AGP support (try AGPGART, then NVIDIA's AGP)

If nothing works, it could be your GPU... Maybe you can do a stress-test or something on another OS...

-EDIT- I see you have a TV connected... Try without it, maybe it works this way and you also minimize the source of errors...

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#12 2006-11-29 15:19:03

harlekin

Thanks for all your replies.

I changed and shortened my xorg.file a little bit, as you said, to reduce sources of failures: xorg.conf

I disabled DRI again because I remember that NVIDIA cards does not need DRI and you confirmed that.

But I had still no luck playing gltron.

I didn't tried the 3D Mark 2001 but I am downloading it at the moment.

Either I didn't try to play around with xorg's NVIDIA AGP settings because I don't know what they'll affect. Maybe you can give me an explaination, a link or a suggestion or something.

But I noticed a funny thing: I know, if I restat X, conky does not terminate but loops infinitely. Usually I kill the process cause it is dead but uses much resources but this time I forgot that. Then, I started gltron and _could_ play the game normally. Off course very slow because the 100% cpu usage of conky but my system didn't died as usual. After I killed conky and tried out gltron again, my monitor wents black. So the problem remains.

Maybe this is another part in the puzzle but I don't know what to do with it. ):

I'll try the 3D Mark later and try to do a stress test on another OS as well as soon as possible. But I don't think it will give usefull results cause e.g. Counterstrike Source is perfectly playable...

Maybe there are some other suggestions how to solve my problem? I'd love to play these games from time to time. ):

Thank you!
harlekin

edit: As well I switched "back" to NVIDIA-1.0.9629 drivers.

Hail to the thief!

#13 2006-11-30 08:53:22

funkyou
Website

Here is nVidias description of the AGP settings (at the beginning of the page):

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linu … dix-d.html

With these settings you just tell the driver whether it should use the nvidia kernel module or linux`s agpgart or no agp at all... I dont know what you are using now, but i would try it with agpgart and no agp to check out if the system hangs too with these setting...

#14 2006-12-01 05:53:31

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Great - now that you've brought it up, my system's acting very similar.  This is really odd, because earlier in the week I was working on my graphics project, which uses OpenGL, fine - and now when I use it (or any other GL) it seems like X just completely locks up.

Difference is, I'm using fglrx.  Can't figure out why it's happening either, for the life of me. sad

#15 2006-12-06 17:02:41

harlekin

Pitty you suffer from this problem, too.
But good to see that I am not the only one suffering. Gives me new hope to find a solution.

Well... just want to report that the latest nvidia driver (9631) does not work either.

Seems not to be nvidia-related. Is there another driver I could use to check wether it's nvidia-specific? Tried the vesa driver but I cannot even run gltron or glxgears with vesa because it has no glx extension IIRC.

Hail to the thief!

#16 2006-12-12 16:40:38

harlekin

Long time no see, at least in this thread.

I just downloaded kanotix yesterday and today I've got the time to check out whether it's working there.
Well... I booted the kanotix live cd and waited for the x server to start up. I ran glxgears without a problem except from that it was damn slow (about 1 frame per second).

I could not figure out which module is loaded for my gpu, but I saved the output of lsmod and glxinfo. Maybe it'll be useful:
Output of lsmod
Output of glxinfo

Because I wanted to test kanotix' behavior with nvidia drivers, I installed them and kanotix reloaded X with the the nvidia drivers. Running glxgears leads to the same trouble I have with archlinux. :

I don't know what this does mean or where this knowledge brings me to, but maybe you'll do. Or at least give me some advice what to test next to solve the problem.

Thankful for any suggestions.
harlekin

Hail to the thief!

#17 2006-12-12 18:25:58

funkyou
Website

As this seems not to be an arch issue, i would recommend to do a posting about your problem at the nVidia Linux Forums, maybe they can help you...

They will require you to post a nvidia-installer.log or something, so you will have to uninstall your packaged drivers and install them with the official nvidia installer... This will generate a .log file in your /var/log... There is also a nvidia-bug-report.sh script installed by the nvidia installer if i remember correctly, so you can use that too to provide them informations...

My opinion: It seems like a hardware failure. Is the card active or passive cooled? I once had a nVidia card that died because the fan was at the end of its life-cycle and disappeared... It was not noticeable with 2D but the card did not work with 3D anymore...

#18 2006-12-12 20:54:26

harlekin

My gpu is actively cooled. (Hope this makes sence in english big_smile)

Well... I don't think it's a problem with cooling. I can run Counterstrike Source with wine a very long time without any problems. Funny thing: If the resolution is higher than 800x600 IIRC is randomly crashes as glxgears.
I cannot see what's wrong. \:

But thanks, I'll give the nvidia forums a try. (:

Hail to the thief!

#19 2006-12-22 11:54:43

harlekin

Well... I am both glad and ashamed.
As I worked a few weeks because of practical training as a technician in a pc store I know how important it is to keep your hardware clean.
Because of that I clean my hardware once a year, expose my whole system, remove it from dust and put the parts together again.
This time a year wasn't a period that was short enough. As I was clueless why I cant run 3d games I did this check today instead of beginning of the summer and... as you may suppose my system is running flawless again:

$ glxgears
30017 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6003.303 FPS
29866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5973.097 FPS
30443 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6078.977 FPS
30964 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6188.859 FPS
31041 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6205.494 FPS
30202 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6032.116 FPS

Well... keep clean your system. (;

(And thanks for all the effort you put into this thread! (:)

<- playing Counterstrike / gltron / lbz3d

Hail to the thief!

Board footer