You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-07 12:39:26

Fafun

[Solved] gthumb video display problems

So, first time on linux and I went for Arch, I've been using it since literally day one of this year hahaha, good experience so far, however I'm having problems with gthumb not playing videos, I did my best to solve it, I installed gstreamer and the situation improved? it went from opening nothing to apearing the video player framework, but not the video itself, the tumbnail still did not apear in thunar (I'm using xfce4 btw) but ok. So after going trough other 20 other pages talking abour this, I saw one saying you should install VLC as well, so I when to do this... but vlc did not install, after doing more search, with -Syy it worked, alright, but the gthumb still did not display de videos... pain.
So, if there is another image and video displayer I would be very happy, ideally if someone helped me making gthumb video display work, since I like it's features, yet if there is nothing I can do another options would be apreciated.

Last edited by Fafun (2022-01-07 14:37:35)

#2 2022-01-07 13:10:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] gthumb video display problems

Welcome to the boards. Gstreamer requires distinct plugins for certain  formats, are these installed as well? https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GStreamer#Installation you'll in a general sense want to have all of the standard ones so good,bad,ugly for all of the built in codecs, libav will be necessary for e.g. wmv but is generally not as performant.

For file previews/thumbnails in thunar you'll need tumbler and ffmpegthumbnailer I'm not sure whether you can just substitute in gthumbs here.

Another thing, avoid running pacman -Syy commands as that will lead to partial upgrades which can break your system, if a newer version of a package is out and you need to update the syncing database to get it you need to do full system updates with pacman -Syu , also avoid the second -y if there's no reason to use it (there are very few, very distinct and very situational reasons for a double -y for the vast majority of use cases a single -y is faster, kinder to the mirrors and less error-prone)

Last edited by V1del (2022-01-07 13:12:30)

#3 2022-01-07 14:05:57

Fafun

AAAAAAAYYYYYYYY it worked, gst-libav was necessary so the video played, otherwise it just reproduced audio.

About the image previews, I can see the images per se, like .png etc, just not videos (.mp4), I'll look about tumbler and ffmpegthumbnailer though.

Thanks for the help, I did only download in -Syy because VLC was not downloading, it was giving erros, I used -Qi to see if I had the packged installed (who knew, maybe I had forgotten) but there was nothing, and looking at some other user quest for help someone said about doing it with -Syy, I still do not know what it does since if I do not remember seeing in the pacman wiki the "Syy" command, but it worked, however thanks for the councel ^^

#4 2022-01-07 14:21:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

It's not in the wiki because you should avoid using it. If you can't download a certain version just with -S because it got updated in the meantime you should generally also update your system in one go: pacman -Syu vlc https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … nsupported

Out of curiosity what's the video file format of the faulty video? I'd generally expect most "normal" codecs to be covered by the good,ugly,bad set.

In any case if this is [SOLVED] please mark it as such by editing the title in your first post.

#5 2022-01-07 14:34:55

Fafun

.mp4 it happened with all of them though, but once I downloaded gst-libav it just worked, and yes, I downloaded the set first, then libav

Last edited by Fafun (2022-01-07 14:36:03)

#6 2022-01-07 14:38:19

V1del
Forum Moderator

.mp4 is just a container, the internal video codec would be intresting, likely some strange proprietary codec, but yeah libav uses ffmpeg which can cover nearly everything.

Board footer