You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-13 10:53:06

lo_storpion

[SOLVED]Unable to wireless/wifi setup HP printer

Good morning,
I have a HP ENVY 5532 printer and I have successfully set it up with USB cable connection. I decided also to connect it via WiFi, so I clicked on "Wireless/WiFi setup using USB" in HP Device Manager. After this configuration there is a window which says something like "To configure your printer run following command: hp-setup 192.168.1.102" where 192.168.1.102 is my printer's IP address (also shown on the printer's touchscreen).
But if I run the command I get this error

error:  Device not found.   Please make sure your printer is properly connected and powered-on.

Then the setup window opens and there is the "Manual discovery" checkbox checked with the IP address inserted, but if I click the next button I get another error

error:  HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network.
This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall.
For detailed steps follow the link. https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/KnowledgeBase/Troubleshooting/TroubleshootNetwork

But I have firewall disabled from System Settings (I have KDE Plasma Desktop)
I'm new to Arch and I'm not an expert user so thanks in advance for your patience and help

Last edited by lo_storpion (2022-01-15 11:20:58)

lo_storpion

#2 2022-01-13 11:16:08

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED]Unable to wireless/wifi setup HP printer

hpsetup / hplip network autodetection often has issues and may require setting up avahi / mDNS / DNS-SD or their predecessors correctly.

Using hp builtin webserver (all HP networked printers have it as far as I know) is much simpler.

Can  you ping 192.168.1.102 ?
If yes, try http://192.168.1.102 in your favorite browser .

If not, you can configure the printer for wifi using the touchscreen,.
Incase you don't have the printer manual handy,  see https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp … 24/manuals

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2022-01-13 13:08:23

lo_storpion

Thanks for answering.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Can  you ping 192.168.1.102 ?

No, I can't ping my printer.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

If not, you can configure the printer for wifi using the touchscreen,.

I've tried it and printer is connected to the network but I can't see it from HP Device Manager

lo_storpion

#4 2022-01-14 12:06:29

Lone_Wolf

Welcome to archlinux forums (I overlooked ths thread contains your first post)

For now forget hp device manager and hplip .

Figure out what ip address the printer does have and verify you can reach it.

copied from page 4 of http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03789887.pdf

If••••••your network installation was unsuccessful:
Confirm that Wireless is enabled on your printer.
From the printer control panel, press the Wireless button (
), if it shows Wireless Off, touch Turn On.
Confirm that your printer is connected to your network.
1. From your printer control panel, press the Wireless button (
).
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch Print Reports, and then touch Wireless Test Report. The Wireless Test Report is automatically
printed.
4. Check the top of the report to see if something failed during the test.
–– See the Diagnostics Results section for all tests that were performed, to determine whether or not
your printer passed.
–– From the Current Configuration section, find out the Network Name (SSID) to which your printer is
currently connected. Make sure that the printer is connected to the same network as your computer.

The information on the printed report should be enough to verify you can connect with the printer over network .
Incase you don't understand what the report says scan it to a pdf and upload the pdf somewhere public where we can see it.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2022-01-14 12:08:10)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2022-01-15 09:51:29

lo_storpion

Thanks again for the help and for the welcome. I have printed the wireless report and everything looks fine. Today I've tried to connect with a browser to the printer's IP but this time has worked fine. I swear I haven't changed anything and the previous times I did the same steps but without success. I have connected the printer to the network.

Did I have to put this as [SOLVED] or, as it is "self resolved", I have to do something else?
Thank you

lo_storpion

#6 2022-01-15 10:16:46

Lone_Wolf

prepending [Solved] to the title (edit first post) is fine.

Board footer