You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-18 18:44:12

cameo

[SOLVED] KDE permanently resuming? -> was a baloo issue!

Hi all & HNY!

Since a couple of days after setting up Akonadi on a postgres basis (system-wide instance), starting a KDE session on my desktop computer really sucks because it has become way laggy, there's permanent disk activity, and memory gets eaten up little by little (starting w/ 2G from 8G max [yes, I know my box is old]). Even spawning konsole is occasionally taking ages.

htop is always stating on first position:

/sbin/init resume /dev/mapper/magicbox-swap

But why is there resuming at all now? The machine is no laptop, I don't make any use of hibernation or so (and can't find anything related in KDEs power management). And I am explicitely starting empty KDE sessions.

Admittingly I am quite new to KDE/Plasma, so maybe I missed something in the Plasma configs. – Same goes for PostgreSQL for Akonadi btw., I just thought it's lighter than mariadb. Anyway I tried editing /var/lib/postgres/data/postgresql.conf according to #Troubleshooting might help – but no. Also there's no change when stopping (and then restarting) akonadi.

Further I disabled Qt journal logging behaviour; still no dice.

Then I checked if there's a difference between graphical logging out/rebooting, and doing so in an X terminal – there isn't.

So what's going on here?

Last edited by cameo (2022-02-08 18:46:43)

#2 2022-01-19 07:42:01

seth

Re: [SOLVED] KDE permanently resuming? -> was a baloo issue!

/dev/mapper/magicbox-swap is your actual swap partition?

cat /proc/cmdline # do you have the resume stanza in the commandline
ps aux # what runs that process in what context

Ceterum censeo: do you have a parallel windows installation (because that might be hibernating, causing the system to attempt a resume, but on bogus swap data)

#3 2022-01-19 14:19:48

cameo

seth wrote:

/dev/mapper/magicbox-swap is your actual swap partition?

Yes. But almost zero is in use, while RAM since start up has already eaten up a couple of GBs.

seth wrote:
cat /proc/cmdline # do you have the resume stanza in the commandline

In fact I do. And there was never a problem with it. – Shall I remove it anyway?

seth wrote:
ps aux # what runs that process in what context

Still only this one:

root           1  0.0  0.1 166772 12252 ?        Ss   14:13   0:01 /sbin/init resume /dev/mapper/workbox-swap
seth wrote:

Ceterum censeo: do you have a parallel windows installation (because that might be hibernating, causing the system to attempt a resume, but on bogus swap data)

No, I don't, Arch is the only OS.

Meanwhile I don't think this issue is related to KDE (directly).
This heavy 'resuming' even starts before logging in. After some minutes it stops, then continues in X, and won't stop; I fear it will wear out my disk I just bought a year ago.

Even it is related to Postgres – or to btrfs, which has been my file system of choice for years.

This Arch install itself is from July btw., and I am updating it almost daily. – Maybe something went wrong?

Last edited by cameo (2022-01-19 14:50:48)

#4 2022-01-19 14:35:52

seth

Hibernate the system, resume, reboot.
Situation gone?
If not, remove the resume stanza, reboot - maybe that's not the issue at all and the init process is busy w/ something entirely different.

#5 2022-01-19 14:56:00

cameo

Well I don't now how to resume this machine acutally; it's a desktop, and I've never this this on purpose.

However, I remember there was a grub update lately.
So I am now going to reboot, edit the command line, delete "resume", and continue ...

#6 2022-01-19 14:57:06

seth

"systemctl hibernate", when you power on the machine it should™ resume the hibernated system.

#7 2022-02-08 18:41:47

cameo

OK, to finish this one:

It had nothing to do with resuming.

Further "htop" was the wrong monitoring tool, too. – Spawning "top" instead then revealed a freaking out "baloo" being the culprit!

Disabling it made things calm down again, and that's still the status quo since a couple of weeks. ^^

Board footer