You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-18 22:26:58

arcanedarkness

Steam games almost always fail to update/install

Hi all,

Either if I try to update them manually, or if I let Steam try to automatically update them, I end up with the games (in the Download view) reporting one of many problems: "Content servers unreachable", "No internet connection", "Connection Timeout", or even no error (the game just go to the scheduled list) but trying to force it to start puts it in a "initializing download" state and it fails a few seconds later, without showing any error message by its side in red (like the others).

I already have the problem that I cannot connect into Steam without passing the "-tcp" flag. Just now I opted in the Beta Client to see if the behaviour was different and discovered that I could not open steam anymore (it gave a "No Internet Connection" even before the login page), and I somehow fixed the problem with the beta by starting the "nscd" service (a DNS problem?).

I am located at Brazil and have contracted two distinct internet providers (so if one has a problem I can rely on the other). For some time, only one of the providers gave me this problem, and changing to the other fixed it most of the times. Now, however, both have the same problem. Rarely (at some point each few days) the downloads just work and I can then play the games, but I do not want to be dependent on this.

I have also tested disabling IPV6 in the kernel, it did not change the situation, most of the time the downloads will not work, but when a rare moment of cooperation happens it updates the game even with IPV6 disabled.

I renamed .steam and .local/share/Steam, and ran steam again, recreating all the directory structure from the zero. I was able to install one game after this, but then it stopped working again.

The problem happens with both games that rely on Proton as well as native Linux games.

I am at loss on how to debug the problem. Which logs should I provide? Which tools should I try? The steam console output was not very useful.

#2 2022-01-22 20:36:32

arcanedarkness

Re: Steam games almost always fail to update/install

Any suggestions of how to debug the problem are welcome. Currently I am starting steam multiple times with nscd enabled, sometimes it works sometimes not. If the download is long it sometimes fail in the middle and then I have to restart multiple times to get it back on track.

Board footer