You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-21 15:34:52

sundar_ima

[Solved] Unable to download themes/ widgets from KDE "Get New Widget"

Running the Arch Linux with latest updates as on 21-01-2022. This issue is related to downloading new themes/ wallpapers/ colour schemes etc., from KDE's inbuilt "Get New Widget" options. Once clicking on this option, the GUI indicates that it is trying to download file from store.kde.org. However, after some time, it produces error "Socket operation timed out".

I have seen this issue since last three months (fresh install). In other way, I am unable to use this functionality since I installed Arch Linux. Gone through various forum posts regarding this issue. However, there appears to be no proper solution for this issue.

Can someone help me to solve this issue.

Update

I tried to copy the particular url into browser and tried to download the same stuff. However, I get an error "site not reachable". Then I copied the url into my android and tried to download using mobile network. This time, it downloaded immediately. So, the issue appears to be related to network setting. Request some to help me.

Last edited by sundar_ima (2022-01-21 16:10:49)

#2 2022-01-21 16:10:28

sundar_ima

Re: [Solved] Unable to download themes/ widgets from KDE "Get New Widget"

Ok. With I have found the solution to my own problem. It is to do with DNS resolution. My system DNS was set to 192.168.x.x using below command:-

dig www.google.com

This I believe is a local address. So I have edited /etc/resolv.conf with following Google DNS addresses:-

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

As the /etc/resolv.conf file will be automatically modified by NetworkManager, set the file write protected using following command:-

sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Now tried to download new stuff using Get New Widget and it worked perfectly. smile

If you wish to remove the write proction option, you can use the below command:-

sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

Board footer